ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
First,
Let's get past the 'Safety is a Business' and 'Corporate America is looking out for itself' if we can. Let's assume degrees of this are apparent to everyone.

Let's talk Basics;
Do you as a worker feel that you should be able to work as safely as possible? What could be, or should be done to improve the level of safety where you work?

Any ideas how to get the 'other guys' on the same track so that they don't endanger you or someone else?

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-18-2003).]

Bill
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
Ideally the worker should be let to have a say in the decision process

Sparky,

Which decision process?

Bill
Bill,
Great idea!! [Linked Image]

I
My attitude towards safety has certainly changed over time thanks to the company I work for now.

I never knew the term PPE did a lot of work hot when it did not have to be.

I never knew about fall protection, I remember straddling an I-beam at 120' to change out a motor.

When I think back and realize how many times I put my life at risk for no other reason than I am a man and I am not afraid, I feel rather stupid.

The hourly wage I receive does not come close to enough for me not to every see my family again.

Now on the other side the GCs that take safety to the point that you can not work makes me resent overblown safety programs and I think this can be as bad as no program.

Some of the GCs or large customers we work for interpret the OSHA six foot rule for everything.

Use a ladder and your feet are over 6 feet off the ground they expect me to ware a harness and tie off.

In an office building where can I tie off, or with an extension ladder where do I tie off to.

But that's our problem, if I do not tie off I expose the company to fines from the GC or customer.

So we tie off to what ever we can, if I do fall I will end up pulling down plumbing or duct work etc on top of me.

Another large company we work for requires 2 people to carry anything longer than 8', need a stick of 3/4" EMT and you have to get a coworker to help!

One entire day safety class for any employee we bring to the site, if we do not follow the rules, fines and removal from the site.

There has to be safety with commonsense

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 06-19-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
S
Bill,
The most obvious loophole is the 'live work' scenario. That which an employee , given proper PPE cannot refuse.

Sparky,

Of course he can refuse.
Are you talking about untrained persons?

Bill
Bob,

Belated thanks for the reply,
I've done some genuinely stupid things myself that I didn't think enough about at the time and realize now that there was much I didn't know.

As far as the Safety-Overkill goes I have never experienced that at all. Is that all figured into the job?

Bill

Bill
S
Bill,
let's say your 'qualified', your told to tap 3/8/16" into a 1200A 480V buss live because the plant can't shut down

your given the proper ppe, however you feel that your loss of tactility and close quarters make this unsafe.

can you LEGALLY refuse to do your job?

~S

Sparky,

I don't know what you mean by 'LEGALLY', but sure you could refuse if you felt it was unsafe.

I don't know what the options are working within the system as it is. How are procedures evaluated as to what types of work can be done and what PPE is necessary?

Bill

Bill
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard