ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Sorry I have not checked in on this thread for a while but I would like to respond to this.

By Sparky

can you LEGALLY refuse to do your job?

While I do not think it would be against the law to refuse to do your job, lets be honest if you refuse you may find yourself "downsized" at some point and IMO for a legitimate reason.

Now comes the part I will get hammered on.

If you are given all the PPE needed for the job and you refuse to do it anyway, are you in the right trade or with the right company to begin with.

If this plant needs an electrician that can work "Hot" why should they keep a guy on that will not work hot?

This to me would be the same as a truck driver that can not drive because he gets motion sick, or a firefighter that will not go into the smoke.

Certain jobs no matter how much PPE you have carry some risk, if you do not wish to take these risks there are plenty of electrician positions that do not require hot work.

I do not think a company should have to keep an employee on that can not or will not do the work they need done.

At some point I will have to leave the company I am with now, as age will make me slower and less agile, I do not think they are obligated to keep me on if I am not putting out the work, no hard feelings it is a cold hard world.

Just my opinion

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Bob,
I totally agree, with most of your comments, in your last posting and I don't reckon, that you should be "shot down in flames" for having these opinions!. [Linked Image]
The Electrical industry, no matter what country, we are talking about here, carries it's own inherent risks, electricity is like that.
But like you said, to have all of the PPE and still refuse to do the job, definitely sounds like a bad choice of vocation.
Hot-work in itself, takes years of supervised training, if you're not trained in it, leave it alone, this is a totally different animal, compared to dead work.
Just as an aside, with respect to wrong career choice, I once had an Apprentice Line Mechanic, who passed all the Theory tests and so forth, and he was real good with transformer calcs, but I got him to climb a pole one day, he got to the 3rd rung on the ladder and froze, it took me 3/4 of an hour to get him back down, 4ft off the ground. [Linked Image]

S
Trumpy,

Thanks for the kind words.

Scott

Scotts,
That's OK.
I work in an arm of Electrical work, that requires, absolute attention to what you are doing, or you just set yourself on fire!. [Linked Image]
EWP work is totally different to working on say a lighting circuit in a house,
But, the same principles of safety still apply.
Here's a concept for you all:
Think, Feel, Think again, Act!!.??

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard