ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#149031 06/19/03 06:50 AM
S
Because the corporate mentality focuses on liability instead of asset and thus every aspect follows suit.

I think everyone here's been witness to the superficial 'safety cheerleading' that exemplifies this.

that i opine it lame is merely being honest

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#149032 06/19/03 11:07 AM
Everyone knows profits are what makes the world go round and the doors to our lobbies stay open. Profits are ingrained in all operational aspects of most successful businesses. Placing “Safety First” on a poster and telling everyone “this is the philosophy our organization lives by” puts safety in direct competition with the true goal of business.
Steve,
I think that Lance nailed the same problem you are complaining about pretty well in these sentences and stated things as honestly as possible.

Why you are jumping on him?

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-19-2003).]

Bill
#149033 06/19/03 04:16 PM
B
Always remember: The safest thing to do is Never Turn The Switch On.

#149034 06/19/03 05:36 PM
S
Safety encompasses EVERY laborer, carpenter, foreman, superintendent, intern, PE, PM, estimator, welder, mechanic, electrician, plumber, roofer, etc.

The people listed here need to have some input, other than merely signing off @ a safety meeting.

When workers can simply 'just say no' without reproach or retribution sorts such as i shall be less acute of the constant safety rhetoric , incidently all the rage in this springs trade mags.

~Steve(aka; Norma Ray's big bro)sparky

#149035 06/19/03 06:25 PM
Sparky,

How would a system like that work if anyone could refuse to do anything they didn't want to? Where's the balance?

Bill
#149036 06/20/03 01:19 AM
Bill,
IMHO,
Safety is an attitude or a state of mind.
It's all part of your training as an Electrical Worker, it goes hand in hand with the basics of Electrical Theory and Practice.
If you can't work safely, you might as well pack up and go home!!. [Linked Image]

#149037 06/25/03 12:24 PM
S
OK, I am the safety guy at work, so I think I can have a say here. Is safety #1. No. Is safety very important? Yes! Fortunatley at my work they do take safety important, so I rarely have to "sell" safety. However I have learned that you do have to sell safety. First of all to sell safety to management you can show that the indirects costs of an accident are much more than the direct costs of an accident. This is also wasted money to a company. Now don't take this the wrong way. Yes you do get an injured worker back, however if you prevent this injury than you do not have to spend this money in the first place.

Yes I also have to sell safety to the employees. Many of them will say that it will take too long to do what I recommend, or that it is a pain in the a$$ to do it. To the employees I tell them that sure the company will get a ding and have to spend some money. However they are the ones that are going to be in pain. Accidents hurt! No one should go home hurt. For example, hearing protection. We have some areas where employees have to wear hearing protection. Some people don't like to wear the ear plugs, so they will not put them in all the way. I tell these people that sure they can fool us and not wear the hearing protection properly, however they will be the ones when they are 50 going "What, what did you say, I cannot hear you." So they have to take care of themselves.

I think my messages are getting across, we had a good year last year. Then this year we had some problems. We had one day that 2 people got injured. I told my wife that I was having a bad day. She was talking to people at her work and someone said that they were having a bad day. She said sure when you have a bad day you break a part, when my husband has a bad day people get hurt. I called a special toolbox meeting the next day to focus their attention to safety and told them what my wife told me. Since then we have not had an accident. (Knock on wood)

I know that may job in to be a pain in the a$$. I try and do it with reason and not too much interference. I also know that I can NEVER come into work with a broken are or something like that. I think of this everytime I am on a ladder working on my house.

Well I have more to say, but I already think this has been too long.
Scott

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard