ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#148991 06/07/03 01:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
I want to run a wee bit of a poll of our members.
With you people working around Electricity all the time, how many of you are required to regularly undertake CPR and Basic First Aid training.(How often?)
Where you are not required, do you keep yourself up to date on these techniques?
Just wondering?. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#148992 06/07/03 05:34 PM
S
Well this may not apply to your post, but what the heck. At our industrial plant we train people in CPR and first aid anually. We train about 10 people each year. We have one electrician. (I turned him onto this site. His screen name is mjelliott.) I did not have him trained on CPR and first aid, because I thought if anyone was going to need CPR it would be him.
Scott

#148993 06/09/03 07:07 AM
R
Our in-house Electrical Safety Program requires that electrical personnel and stand-by personnel be trained in CPR.
It is not enforced, though.

#148994 06/10/03 08:24 PM
S
keep your Ugly's book handy.....

#148995 06/12/03 11:29 PM
C
I work at a municipal power plant, both operations and maintenance crews are trained every other year for CPR and first aid. We also standardly train for use of SCBA (self contained breathing apparatus) and confined space entry and any other courses management deems necessary.

Unfortunately I doubt that most of private industry provides the same level of training for their work force. Thankfully, at this level if somebody raises doubts about safety they are taken seriously and the issues are addressed and resolved rather being put off.

[This message has been edited by CaOperator (edited 06-13-2003).]

#148996 06/13/03 12:36 PM
B
I was a technical dispatcher (office job) crosstrained as warehouse manager crosstrained as entry-level installer (hanging boxes & toning cable back to the MPOP) for the phone company for a number of years (on a gov't contract - industrial/office locations, not residential) and we got our entire crew trained in Basic First Aid & CPR.

This led to one of my favorite memories. As the Vice-Pres was crossing our office turf between the conference room and the restroom, he was treated to this conversation between myself (vertically challenged at 5'2") & Victor, an (6'4") engineer who is my all-time favorite teasing target.
B: Vic, why all the bruises around your lips?
V: I don't know, I just couldn't quite get the hang of the CPR with that doll, you know - Resusi-Annie. I tried and tried and tried and I'm exhausted.
B: Well, Vittorio, don't you know you're supposed to just learn how to save her life, not develop a full-blown, long-term relationship with her?

Mr. C, Vice Pres., burst out laughing and said, "Now this is one office where I'd love to be a fly on the wall!"

Scotts: Two days after I did a requal on my Basic First Aid & CPR I was cruising along on a mountain road and encountered the sheerest layer of black ice. My truck was doing its best figure skating performance, the spin took me between two reflector posts and onto the grassy slope leading down to a ravine. I felt the resistance between tires and grass and figured I'd have a window full of EARTH any second, I started mentally running through my First Aid "ABC's", Airway, Breathing, Circulation.... BLOOD... and it'll be MY BLOOD. How will I handle seeing my OWN blood. Be calm. Don't panic... etc. My point: The lessons themselves came back loud and clear and probably helped me think about what to do - turned the wheel, got pointed perpendicular to the hill and stood on the brakes (not always the right move) until the back tire found a large partially buried smooth rock and stopped on it. Made me really think about handling medical emergencies in the heat of crisis!

#148997 06/13/03 01:07 PM
S
Bren,
Good job for keeping your head in a time of crisis. That is the best thing you can do. I am trying to teach my daughter that. However, some people have it and some people don't. I have always found that in a time of crisis I can address the situation and find the solution. I guess I am lucky.

About your other story I had a similar experience, but it might be a little to racy for this board. DOn't want to upset Bill
Scott

#148998 06/13/03 01:23 PM
... Now, we've got to keep our PG rating!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#148999 06/14/03 03:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Bill,
That comment is noted.
Please, let's keep this PG!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-14-2003).]

#149000 06/14/03 03:37 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Thanks all for your comments,
Over here in NZ, I am required to sit a 6 Hour refresher course in First Aid(Emergency Rescue+ Patient Care), not as an Electrician, but as a Senior Firefighter, every 6 months.
As an Electrician, I have to do totally seperate training courses, to the NZFS,
pay, pay, pay!!.
I would still invite your comments.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-14-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard