ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 262 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
great corporate commentary, now tell me how one would use the same premis to convince state officals that safety is to the benifit of the average Joe bag-o-donuts homeowner.........

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
Scotts Offline OP
Trumpy,
The figures of $6,950 comes from a report from our corporate office. They have over 90 companies. So I felt comfortable using that number. Don't forget that while the major focus is on serious accidents, there are many smaller accidents that occur. There was a study that shows that for every serious accident there is about 300 less serious accidnets (cut fingers, strain to the wrist...)

My job is to eliminate all accidents
Scott

Scotts,
I am not disparaging the serious/minor accident ratio for a second.
However, I'm not too sure about eliminating ALL accidents, even small ones come down to inattention, stupidity(that could also hold true for the majority of Serious Accidents, because why, would you get anywhere near a machine that could start-up, with the flick of a Pressure Switch)and just plain ignorance of any safety systems!. [Linked Image]

S
Scotts Offline OP
True Trumpy True,

How to eliminate all accidnets???? Wow good question. However I like to tell the employees that I want to eliminate all accidents to show them that is my ultimate goal. Before I started as the safety guy the offical co. goal was to stay below an incident rate of 11.3. However I don't think it is acceptable to say, "We only want 6 employees hurt this year." I want the employees to know that I don't want any of them to get hurt.

Inattention. So true. However let me tell you what happened at our work. We had a good year last year, but the wheels fell of the wagon this year. So I called a special tool box meeting and told them that I did not know what to say. This was the same employees who had a great year last year, however this year we had already had more accidents in the first 4 months than we had all last year. Someone at my wife's work was complaining that they had a bad day. She told him when he has a bad day, he breaks a part, when I have a bad day at work people get hurt. I told them this quote and also that most of the accidents we had this year were caused by inattention. Since then we have been on a roll. Since that day we have not had an accident and that was over 120 days ago (Knock on wood)

I remember the first time that I told the employees that I would like to go a whole year with no accidents. They looked like I was crazy and some of them said that it could not happen. My response to them was "Why?" Total silence. I told them that if anyone was planning on getting hurt to come to my office and we could talk about it. I told them that I truly believed that we could go a whole year with no accidents. We almost did it last year. 239 days.

BTW Trumpy, got your e-mail. I will reply, but I thought that this was appropriate for others to see.
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 07-23-2003).]

Scotts,
That's fine by me!. [Linked Image]
The concept of Tool-box meetings was a totally new thing to me as a Trainee Line Mechanic, but that was (and is) the culture that prepares us guys to perform a certain task, efficiently, safely and with the minimum of fuss or accidents.
At a typical Tool-box meeting, amongst us, everyone works out who is going to do what, in accordance with the Line Clearance, who is going to be where at a given time and what they will be doing.
It's almost done like Military Tactics planning, but having said that, I have NEVER, been involved in a single Live-Line accident yet!.
Over here, the very strange thing is, the Tool-box meeting has not filtered over in to the Construction Industry(that has a shocking accident record that has to be read to be believed), but I suppose they're too "tough" to have a wimpy tool-box meeting!. [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard