ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148894 05/04/03 02:59 PM
Anyone have any access to old Safety Advertisements or Information?

I just came across the following in one of our old threads here and thought it would be good to post here too:

Photos Courtesy of Rick Miell:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
P
I'll add a re-post of this link:

Public Information Films

These were very common on British TV in the 1970s as "fillers" between programs. Two available to view on this site are directly related to electricity:

Electricity Kills (1970)
[Linked Image from markmcm2002.verysmooth.co.uk]

And if you go to the M-Z page,

Play Safe - Frisbee (1979)
[Linked Image from markmcm2002.verysmooth.co.uk]

You'll need Real Player or compatible to view. Tip: If the transfer from this U.K. site makes the action very erratic, try setting your viewer configuration to buffer the entire clip before starting.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-30-2003).]

Paul,

I don't remember seeing any public service messages about the dangers of electricity.
There used to be regular commercials on TV with 'Smokey the Bear' and slogan "Only YOU can prevent Forest Fires", but I can't think of anything regarding Electricity. Can anyone else?

Bill

Bill
Bill,Paul,
In the late 70's, I seem to remember a string of ads on TV over here, relating to Electrical safety.
The first of which, was about wiring up extension cords and the need for wiring each end correctly.
Another ad came out a bit later, regarding using Flex's to connect up Caravans and the danger of incorrect phasing of the wires in the said Flex's.
There was also an ad that warned of the dangers of erecting boat masts and flying kites around over-head lines(this one has stuck in my mind, because of it's graphic-ness(?)).
One thing should be said though, I wish that they still made ads like them, which used good common-sense (which people had back then) and not the banal shock tactics that are common-place these days. [Linked Image]

P
There were a series of these here in the mid-late 1970s which all ended with a picture of a huge electrical arc between two rods over the caption "PLAY SAFE." I've been searching to see if any of these are on the Net, but haven't had any luck so far.

There are three that I remember distinctly:

1. Somebody fishing by the river, casting his line back, looking up and realizing that the top of his extremely long rod is almost between two lines of 11kV. He carefully lowers his rod, no harm done, and moves to a safer place.

2. Kids flying a kite near to the "big stuff" (looked like 132kV from what I recall). One sees the kite string nearing the lines and calls out to be careful, but in this case it's too late. We see a huge flash, and cut to a picture of the boy laying on the ground, flames burning around him. Like the Frisbee film, it was very graphic, and should have been enough to scare kids into being careful!

3. Group of people pushing a tall-masted boat down to the river with 11kV lines above. I think this one also ended with a big flash, but my memory's a bit hazy.....

I wonder whether these were the same films that were imported for you in NZ ?

P
Still no luck with the films themselves, but I came across a still of the closing caption:
[Linked Image from 625.uk.com]

Paul,
You are probably quite right about NZ importing those ads, as they sound quite familiar.
A lot of that sort of thing was brought from the UK, back then.
I'll never forget that Caravan Safety ad though, this is where Dad hooks up the family caravan to a socket-outlet in the house, but the flex he's got is too short, so he makes up another one and plugs it in.
(This was made in NZ, as it featured an old PDL 30 Series Outlet with no switch).
And then one of the kiddies goes to open the door on the caravan, and I don't think I have to explain what happens next, but it stuck in my mind for years afterwards!. [Linked Image]

P
I don't remember ever seeing a PIF like that one. (For our U.S. members, caravan = travel trailer.)

What sort of connector is a PDL 30?

Link Copied to Clipboard