ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
UL Warns of Hazardous Counterfeit Extension Cords
May 10, 2005 - Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) is notifying inspection authorities, retailers, and consumers that certain 9, 12 and 15-foot extension cords bear counterfeit UL Listing Marks on the cord and/or packaging, do not meet UL safety requirements and pose a risk of fire and electric shock.

Name of Product: 9, 12 or 15-foot extension cord.

Units: Unknown quantity.

Manufacturer: The manufacturer of these products has not been identified.

Hazard: These products employ undersized electrical wires, posing a risk of fire and electric shock. In addition, the cord, plug and receptacle have not been evaluated by UL.

Identification: The cord is white or off-white in color with a plug on one end and a three-plug receptacle on the opposite end. The cord may have a counterfeit UL holographic label attached near the plug that has the description "E-174825," "CORD SET," "BV-5508" and "13A 125 V" and "1625 W" or "1825 W."

The orange, black, yellow and blue packaging is marked "HOME ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS," with the words "Made in China" and a counterfeit UL Listing Mark. The packaging may also have the trademark "POWER" on the label.

What you should do: UL recommends that users stop using the extension cords immediately and return them to the place of purchase.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 05-16-2005).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Crikey!.
Here we go again. [Linked Image]

Cat Servant
Holograph or not, there is only so much that can be done when things like this are made with the tolerance, or even actice assistance of dysfunctional, corrupt, or hostile governmemts.

S
I've seen extension cords that are labelled #16 gauge when in fact the wires are obviously #18 (with the thin insulation).

Another day I saw a stubby extension cord (about a foot long) in a paper sleeve that proudly proclaimed "#12 gauge!"

When I took a look at the cord itself, it was embossed with #16. Very thick insulation, though. It would have passed on sight for #12.

Or was it, in fact, a #12 cord that had been mis-stamped?

This is why I make my own extension cords! [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard