ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#14838 10/03/02 04:37 PM
N
Last apartment complex I worked on (thankfully) before opening my company, we had a project leader in a hurry. Nothing went fast enough for him. He kicked my back hoe operator off the hoe because he was " digging fast enough" hops on to show him how the make that hoe move, then rammed the bucket thru about 8 ft of finished building wall and took out 3 windows.
Two days later, I was project manager. We had a $15,000 insurance claim. Also had to spend several days with insurance claims adjusters, auditors, lawyers and a very angry general contractor and royally p****ed owner.
Have never seen that former company ever do another apartment building.

ed
#14839 10/03/02 04:52 PM
E
While installing the thermostat for a heating installation in an grand old house, many years ago, I was drilling up from the basement with a hand brace into what I hoped was the wall stud space.
My helper was upstairs watching to make sure we did'nt damage the beautiful hardwood floor. I yelled "It should be through by now"
He answered " I can hear it, but I can't see it"
Then I saw different colored chips coming down the hole. I was drilling up into the bottom of a piano.
We never said a word to anyone. I guess they didn't move that piano for quite a while.

Another time, when I was a helper, I was watching the floor while my boss was drilling from below, and I felt a funny sensation in the bottom of my foot. The worm of the bit was into the sole of my shoe.

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 10-03-2002).]

#14840 10/03/02 05:58 PM
T
Drilled up through an oak floor once. No problem just moved a waste paper basket over the top of it. These days I would own up.

#14841 10/03/02 06:32 PM
A
I'm glad to see it works the same way for the rest of you guys!

#14842 10/03/02 07:51 PM
P
One time I was drilling through a wall in the kitchen to install a cut-in box and every time it seemed to run into something where I expected to be hollow space. Later I realized that I just messed up his pocket door. Owner was very nice thow, he refused my offer to cover the cost.

#14843 10/03/02 08:57 PM
Quite some years back, working in a $$$ house...drilled down from the attic/crawl; drilled up from the basement. Found the snake, pulled in 2-12/3 RX. Terminated in panel, terminated load side in devices. Two days later, get a call from the owner, he wants to pay bill. Go to his house, wife comes in & trys to close the "pocket" door.
OOPS, I caught the damn thing dead center, top & bottom, and fished the RX right thru it. There was no visable damahe to the door, the track was OK, but I had to pull the RX out & start over again..
John

John
#14844 10/03/02 09:42 PM
E
oh yeah one more... Just moved into our brand new house. decided to install under counter pucklights. was drilling small hole in wall to fish wire up to top of cabinets. noticed white pastic.uh oh hit the 2" drain from the upstairs bathroomcoming down the wall to the basement.

[This message has been edited by elektrikguy (edited 10-03-2002).]

#14845 10/03/02 10:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I know this one is not electrical but my wife's cousin was installing one of those headliner mount rifle racks in his BRAND NEW Ford F-250 4x4 and he actually drilled four self tapping screws right thru the roof and didn't notice them sticking out till he was all done. He put clear silicone on them and left it that way.

#14846 10/03/02 10:31 PM
E
Well, I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones that occasionally have a run of bad luck.

I met with the floor guy today, expecting an estimate of around $500. He looked at it and said he things he has some matching wood at his shop. I asked how much? He said "Buy me a beer". I told him he'll have to charge me more than that, but at least it's not going to eat all the profit.

Electricmanscott, I really wouldn't ream out a helper for making a mistake such as the one I made, in fact I've had helpers try to pay for mistakes they made, but I refuse telling them to just be more carefull and do'nt let it happen again. And that goes for me too.

[This message has been edited by Electric Eagle (edited 10-03-2002).]

#14847 10/03/02 10:45 PM
F
I have done a few of these myself through the years.

One time I was doing a major remodel on an old house and went to hang the fluorescent strip lights on the kitchen ceiling. The old ceiling was lath and plaster so I used a couple of long wood screws to mount them with. I thought it worked pretty well until I had to move one fixture that didn't quite line up. I had sunk the screw right into the upstairs bathtub drain trap. The water went all over the new oak kitchen cabinets with the GC standing right in front of me.

Another time I was installing an outlet in a nursing home for a TV. This was an old building and the walls this time were lath and plaster. I laid out the opening for the box and cut the hole in the wall-right in front of the drain line for the bathroom sink. I thought well that isn't too bad, just move the hole and blank up the mistake. Second try was worse, I found the drain stack for the second floor hiding in the wall. I still needed to get the outlet in, so I moved the box again for try number three. This time I found a cold water line hiding there. Right about then my helper left the room because he was loosing it while I was left wondering if I had enough blank plates in the truck to cover all the damage. I got the box in with the next hole I cut. The maintenance guy was pretty cool about it all. He took part of the blame because he told me that he wanted the outlet "right there".

I try to check on both sides of a wall now before just cutting in to it.

[This message has been edited by fla sparkey (edited 10-03-2002).]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard