ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 256 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC, Sears Roebuck and Co. Announce Recall of Table Saw Rip Fences
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Table Saw’s Rip Fence Assembly

Units: About 41,800

Manufacturer of Rip Fence: Rexon Industrial Corp. Ltd., of East Windsor, Conn.

Distributor/Retailer: Sears Roebuck and Co., of Hoffman Estates, Ill.

Hazard: The rip fence – a metal guide that keeps material being sawed from shifting side to side as it passes through the cutting blade – can come loose. This could result in kickback of the material being sawed and possible injury to the operator.

Incidents/Injuries: Rexon on behalf of Sears has received 230 reports of the rip fence bracket coming loose. No injuries were reported.

Description: The rip fence on these saws is made of silver extruded aluminum, is 31inches in length, and has an over-locking handle with a black die-cast aluminum head. They were included with Craftsman table saw model number 137.21830.

Sold at: Sears stores nationwide from August 2002 through November 2004. The cost of complete table saw is about $399, and the cost of the rip fence is about $40.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: The firm will provide free replacement parts with instructions to consumers.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the Sears Craftsman Helpline at (800) 843-1682 between 8:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
[Linked Image from cpsc.gov]

[Linked Image from cpsc.gov]

Click >> CPSC Recall Notice

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Bump.
Any of you guys wood-workers, or know of any with a saw like this?. [Linked Image]

I'm an avid woodworker. The tablesaw is the most versatile and thus most used machine in any shop, yet is capable of taking a finger, hand or arm off in tenths of a second. The loss of the rip fence during a cut is potentially dangerous, of course, but what always terrifys me is seeing carpenters on TV working without a 'riving knife' or guard, (& even Norm Abraham & Tommy Walsh do this). For 'photographic purposes' is not good enough- they're teaching bad habits. You wouldn't see an electrician on tv working on hot wires! ALWAYS fit the riving knife behind the blade to the makers instructions. Work without it and one day a kickback WILL occur, and being cracked over the head by a length of 2x8 travelling at 100mph is not funny. And I cringe when I see people on tv pushing stock through the saw with their hand. PLEASE use a push stick! You can't work properly with a stump!
Work safe God bless,
Alan

Wood work but can't!
One of my friends is a Cabinetmaker with umpteen years in the Business. He just lost parts of 2 fingers last week when something unexpectedly shifted on him as he was cutting. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
I was so sorry to hear of your friend's accident. The cutting-speeds of woodworking machinery leave no reaction time to avoid injury when things go wrong, which emphasises the need for caution and safe work-practice. The teeth of a ten-inch sawblade at 4500rpm are travelling at around 134mph, that's nearly 200 feet a second, and to put that in perspective, would travel nearly FIVE TIMES the length of my 45 foot long shop in a second. Just to explain the riving-knife to the un-initiated, it's a fixed plate that sits close behind the sawblade, and is dimensioned to prevent the workpiece cut or 'kerf' closing up and being gripped and thrown by the blade disc- known as a 'kickback'. Wood is often internally-stressed by drying, and can warp a lot when it's cut and the stresses are released. A guard is also mounted over the blade, usually on the riving knife, to cover as much of it as practical- this reduces the risk of accidental contact. It's vital to learn and use safe practices, parrot-fashion almost, on any work not just woodworking stuff. Then if concentration slips, your brains 'autopilot' doesn't do something stupid. If you don't think you use autopilot- can you remember all your drive to work this morning? Other points to mention. The saw's versatility leads to it's use for cutting dados or slots, and in this case a knife/guard is impractical. The process is not without risk, (no guard), but kickback is not such a problem with a blind cut. However, DON'T use a dado-head if your machine has an electric brake, the head could come loose- unscrewed by the inertia. Always put the knife back on when returning to rip cutting! And I'm not immune to accidents- 2 years ago I 'No 20' biscuit-jointed and broke/slotted the bones, the ends of 2 fingers and a thumb in a momentary lapse. That smarted!- especially when the little sadist of a French nurse put my hand in a bowl of freezing iodine!
Work safe.
Alan

Wood work but can't!
Alan,
Thanks a lot for your insight!. [Linked Image]
It's good to hear advice from those that actually work with these tools.
I've never actually used a table saw before, but I have seen them used I don't know how many times.
And most of the time people have tried to force the timber over the saw blade, without a push-stick of all things. [Linked Image]
As with any type of power saw, kick-back will eventually happen, it's just a matter of dealing with it when it does.
ALWAYS fit the riving knife behind the blade to the makers instructions. Work without it and one day a kickback WILL occur, and being cracked over the head by a length of 2x8 travelling at 100mph is not funny.
Funny?, it sounds darn dangerous to me!.
The teeth of a ten-inch sawblade at 4500rpm are travelling at around 134mph, that's nearly 200 feet a second, and to put that in perspective, would travel nearly FIVE TIMES the length of my 45 foot long shop in a second.
Wow, that's travelling!, doesn't leave a lot of reaction time.
Bill,
That sounds like a nasty accident.
I stay away from saws unless I really have to use them.

Link Copied to Clipboard