ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148195 12/23/03 05:02 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC, Family Dollar Services Inc. Announce Recall of Extension Cords
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the distributor and importer named below, today announced voluntary recall of the following consumer products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Durex Procraft Outdoor Extension Cords

Units: 60,000

Distributor: Family Dollar Services, Inc., of Charlotte, N.C.

Manufacturer/Importer: Royal United Corp., of North Bergen, N.J.

Hazard: Use of these extension cords could result in an electric shock or electrocution to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: These are 25-foot Durex Procraft outdoor extension cords. These green cords are sold in blue and black packaging. An Underwriters Laboratories’ label is attached to the cord showing code “E-174825.” The item UPC number is 0 74972 01025 1, and is located on the back of the package in the lower right-hand corner.

Sold at: Family Dollar Stores nationwide from June 2003 through November 2003 for $3.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Return the recalled cords to any Family Dollar Store for a refund.

Consumer Contact: Call Royal United Corp. toll-free at (800) 682-0097 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
Click >> CPSC Recall Notice

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
I assume you're not supposed to use two-conductor non-grounded extension cords outdoors or could this a deeper problem: Reversed polarity, bad crimps when molding the connector ends, exposed contacts in the female connector, plugs tend to work themselves loose?

The recall notice is so vague...I wish I had one of these cords to see what the problem is exactly. I've never had the good fortune to buy a product for which a recall notice is later issued....

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-23-2003).]

C
I had one svem. The female connector came apart. I thought those were molded. not a very good job

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
Computerwizkidsaid:
The female connector came apart. I thought those were molded.

Thanks for the answer. [Linked Image]

Yeah, I've also assumed (and correctly also) that most of these extensions use sturdy molded rubber or vinyl female connectors.

However I've seen a few cordset manufacturers (like KAB Enterprise in Taiwan) that use a two-part hard plastic connector assembly. Look at this picture:

[Linked Image from kab-cable.com]

It comes in two pieces and first the metal contact terminal strips are crimped to the wires and then the two plastic halves of the shell are fitted and either welded or glued together.

They're pretty easy to crack open with a screwdriver if you're so inclined. Did so once just to see how well put together these things actually are. I wasn't impressed.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-30-2003).]

C
yes sven mine looken like that but white and I think it was 18Guage wire. I just bought it for the hell of it. to replace a lamp cord and get that factory molded on plug and it was only $1 I never used it as an extension cord. I only buy three prong ones

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
S
Thanks to the "UL code" (that number that starts with E is a UL Labs file number), I was able to find out who made that extension cord:

The cord is made by JIANDE YONGHUA ELECTRICAL
EQUIPMENT CO LTD of Zhejiang, PRC.

Facinating thing -- here's the link to UL's search engine:
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm

Click on "UL FILE NUMBER" and enter that code that starts with "E".

Link Copied to Clipboard