ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
sparky Offline OP
Dec 5, 12:51 PM EST

Stylist's Hair Catches Fire at Gas Pump

ALBANY, Ga. (AP) -- A hair stylist was pumping gas into her car when her hair burst into flames.

"That scared me to death," said stylist Traci Marshall.

The fire was probably caused by static electricity from Marshall's hair rubbing against her clothes, said her husband, Camilla firefighter Lt. Bill Marshall.

The static electricity apparently mixed with gas fumes and ignited the fire Sunday.

"I started beating my hair to get out the fire and saw flames coming out of the gas tank," she said.

A man with a fire extinguisher put out the blaze.

Traci Marshall had to cut her hair and get her truck repaired.

Bill Marshall advised people to ground themselves before pumping gas by touching the metal of their cars.

"Once you get out of your vehicle, don't get back into the vehicle until you are through," he said.

Officials also remind people to turn off cell phones and pagers when pumping gas because those devices can also spark explosions.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
T

The big thing here is the fact that the majority of us people don't wear natural fibre clothing anymore.
It's all synthetics and the like, add to this the fact that a lot of cars have these materials as part of the seat-covers and foam filling.
What makes the situation even worse is the fact that synthetic materials are more likely to melt and stick to the skin, if a fire does occur. [Linked Image]

T
Trumpy:

Not to mention that the fumes emitted by the synthetic materials are highly toxic!

TG,
Why do you think us guys wear BA at a Car Fire?.
It's not because of the burning tyres, that comes later on in the incident. [Linked Image]

S
sparky Offline OP
heh~ i wonder if hairstylists , given all the hazmat they use, should wear scba's ??

B
Don't laugh... fingernail doer's (whatever they're called) face a myriad of nastiness every day, many of which must be carcinogens.

C
What metal new cars are all plastic cheap shit. old cars were much better. Oh and cell phone don't do nothing talk as long as you want on your phone while pumping just not while driving

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer

Link Copied to Clipboard