ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC Issues Safety Tips for Turkey Fryers
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is issuing safety tips for preventing fires and burns when using turkey fryers. Since 1998, CPSC has reports of 75 incidents that involved fires, flames, or burns associated with turkey fryers. Twenty-eight of these incidents were reported for the year 2002. Here are some of the hazard scenarios:

• House fires associated with turkey fryers leading to injuries and property damage.
  • Ignition of oil used with turkey fryers. This was often related to oil reaching excess temperatures or oil contacting the open flame of the fryer.
  • Splashing of hot oil causing burns.

The majority of reported incidents occurred while the oil was being heated, prior to adding the turkey. For this reason, it is very important consumers monitor the temperature of the oil closely. If any smoke at all is noticed coming from a heating pot of oil, the burner should be turned off immediately because the oil is overheated.

There is a risk of injury resulting from splashing due to the cooking of partially frozen meats. Thoroughly thaw and dry ALL meats before cooking in hot oil. One reported burn incident occurred when partially frozen chicken wings were added to hot oil in a turkey fryer.

CPSC staff is working with industry and voluntary standards organizations to improve the safety standard for turkey fryers.

CPSC staff recommends consumers who choose to fry turkeys follow the following safety guidelines:

• Keep fryer in FULL VIEW while burner is on.
  • Place fryer in an open area AWAY from all walls, fences, or other structures.
  • Never use IN, ON, or UNDER a garage, breezeway, carport, porch, or any structure that can catch fire.
  • Raise and lower food SLOWLY to reduce splatter and avoid burns.
  • COVER bare skin when adding or removing food.
  • Check the oil temperature frequently.
  • If oil begins to smoke, immediately turn gas supply OFF.
  • If a fire occurs, immediately call 911. DO NOT attempt to extinguish fire with water.

For safest operation, CPSC staff recommends that consumers follow these guidelines as they prepare to use a turkey fryer:

• Make sure there is at least 2 feet of space between the liquid propane tank and fryer burner.
  • Place the liquid propane gas tank and fryer so that any wind blows the heat of the fryer away from the gas tank.
  • Center the pot over the burner on the cooker.
  • Completely thaw (USDA says 24 hours for every 4 to 5 pounds) and dry turkey before cooking. Partially frozen and/or wet turkeys can produce excessive hot oil splatter when added to the oil.

Follow the manufacturer's instructions to determine the proper amount of oil to add. If those are not available:

• Place turkey in pot
  • Fill with water until the turkey is covered by about 1/2 inch of water
  • Remove and dry turkey
  • Mark water level. Dump water, dry the pot, and fill with oil to the marked level.
Click >> CPSC Safety Tips for Turkey Fryers

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-04-2003).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
What does a turkey fryer look like?.
I've never seen one before. [Linked Image]

You mean to say that you can actually fry a WHOLE turkey with one of these things?.
How do they work?. [Linked Image]

B
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/1192222/102-3425833-8872943 shows the turkey fryer & accessories.
http://www.ul.com/turkeyfryers/ shows the UL turkey fryer fire video

We have one of these and they do make very tasty, moist turkeys but I can definitely understand how there are risks to consider! My hubby cooks a couple of turkeys for holidays and they're delicious and cook much faster than roasting them.

S
They work great! [Linked Image from northerntool.com]
I have used mine for 4 years. I can do up to an 18 pound turkey in a little over an hour. They work great on ham too. They require monitoring, but as long as you stay sober and follow the instructions, you won't burn down the house.

UL has a video here about what happens if you screw up. I would be willing to bet that in 90% of the report problems, alcohol is a factor.

Strangedog

SD
It is best for a leader to be both feared and loved. But since this usually cannot be done, it is safer to be feared.

Link Copied to Clipboard