ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 477 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148152 10/29/03 06:49 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC, The Sarut Group d/b/a City Limit Announce Recall of Fish-Shaped Cigarette Lighters
WASHINGTON, D.C. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Fish-Shaped Cigarette Lighter

Units: 3,100

Manufacturer: The Sarut Group d/b/a as City Limit of New York, N.Y.

Hazard: The lighters lack the required child resistant mechanisms and can expose children to fire hazards.

Incidents/Injuries: None.

Description: These novelty cigarette lighters have a metallic colored plastic body and are shaped to resemble a fish and come in a variety of 18 different colors. Colored designs are painted on the body of the fish. The lighters contain a black lighter insert which can be pulled out of the body of the fish. The inserts have a white colored fish skeleton painted on the side.

Sold at: The lighters were sold through internet sales and distribution to retail firms from 2002 to 2003.

Manufactured in: France

Remedy: Return the lighters to the retail firm or Sarut Group for a full refund and a discount coupon on your next purchase.

Consumer Contact: Beverly Olivier Customer Service Representative at the Sarut Group at (800) 345-6404 between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. E.T. Monday through Friday.

Firm’s Media Contact: Beverly Olivier at (800) 345-6404.
Click >> more info

CPSC, Style Asia Inc. Announce Recall of Cigarette Lighters
WASHINGTON, D.C. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Wristwatch Lighter and Cigarette-shaped Lighter

Units: Wristwatch lighter-3,000 Cigarette-shaped lighter- 5,000

Manufacturer: Style Asia, Inc. Moonachie, N.J. 07074

Hazard: The cigarette lighters do not have qualified child resistant mechanisms and pose a fire hazard to children.

Incidents/Injuries: None.

Description: The Wristwatch lighter is an actual digital wristwatch with a cigarette lighter incorporated into it. The Cigarette Shaped lighter is designed to resemble a filter tipped cigarette.

Sold at: The lighters were sold nationwide primarily through internet sales.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Return the lighters to Style Asia for a refund and discount coupon.

Consumer Contact: Call Style Asia toll free at (800) 522-7465 between 9 and 5 ET Monday through Friday.

Firm’s Media Contact: Dinesh Sadhwani, National Sales Manager, at (800) 522-7465.
Click >> more info

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Wow!,
A watch with a cigarette lighter in it!. [Linked Image]
Sure could have used one of them when I was smoking.
At least you always have your watch on, used to spend heaps of time trying to find a lost cigarette lighter. [Linked Image]
But on a more serious note, any responsible parent should know to keep any fire-producing device, well away from the little ones, child-proof devices or none. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-07-2003).]

E
I bet most people here think the disposable lighter child-proof requirements are absurd. And I bet a lot of you have wanted to post in the past to say so but were afraid to encounter the wrath of the ever-lurking P.C., do it for the children, thought police, eh?

I think they're stupid laws too. IMO the laws conflict with the spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act too. I guarantee my 11 year old son could figure out and operate every one of these safety mechanism lighters, probably easier than his grandparents or greatgrandparents (I wondered how they managed to live so long). And what about gas and electric stoves, one of each is pretty much in every home in the world? They have next to no safety mechanisms - unless you count pushing in the knob, which is a joke. Anyone ever notice that dangerous spinning brush on the bottom of the vacuum cleaner? Better legislate that hazard away as well - and make us all pay for it since its for the children. Don't even talk about guns - they don't even require ANY safety mechanism (they're next on the wellwishers list though).

Nanny-state supporters, let er rip! I'm sure I'm a horrible monster for wanting "the children" to get hurt. Please send links to the horrors I support!

I bet most people here think the disposable lighter child-proof requirements are absurd.
I'd bet that most people are either for it, or at least it doesn't bother them. It sounds like you're having a bad day.

Bill

Bill
E
Bill, I guess your right - most people probably don't care. But, also, I don't think most people give a lot of thought to how it is the government comes into the business of sticking its nose EVERYWHERE. What's next - telling business owners that their customers aren't allowed to smoke cigarettes? Opps, too late. See what I mean. Let the logic continue and were back to prohibition.

I'm not against all regulation...I'd be unemployed without it!

Should we allow cheap soldering irons that come on as soon as they are plugged in? I say yes, but a reasonable person could argue, like with disposable lighters, they should have a safety mechanism. You could apply this to every electrical or mechanical product. Maybe they should all be prevented from automatic operation when plugged in. Maybe that will be the case 50 years from now. (gotta keep the engineers employed!)

This is having a good day - LOL.

Link Copied to Clipboard