ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#148062 05/22/03 04:34 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
CPSC, United General Supply Co. Announce Recall of Extension Cords
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Extension Cords

Units: 8,200

Manufacturer: United General Supply Co., of Houston, TX

Hazard: The extension cords have undersized conductors and no over- current protection which causes overheating, presenting a shock and fire hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: United General has not received any reports of incidents involving these extension cords. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injuries.
Click >> more info

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
I have _NEVER_ seen a regular extension cord for sale in this country (USA) that has "over current protection".

I have seen POWER STRIPS with fuses and circuit breakers.

But a regular 16-gauge zip-cord or heavy duty 14-gague double-jacketed extension?

NEVER!!

You'd think OCP for these devices would mean a fuse carrier in the plug or in the connector. There is neither (and I've cracked a lot of them open intentionally).

Unless they're putting the fusible link in the wire itself? But that would probably be illegal since if the fuse went open it would probably melt the entire cord insulation!!!! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-23-2003).]

Sven,
You're dead right there, about the OCP on an extension cord.
I can't say I've ever seen one either.
And going by the article, if these cords come from where they say they do, you won't find one on these cords either!.
Putting a fusible link in the flex itself would be illegal, as it would require a joint between the link and the wire.

I think the mention of over-current protection was just an attempt to better explain why undersized wires are a hazard to those that might not understand the issue.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard