ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 284 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
TG,
Thanks for that,
Well it just goes to show what can happen when a kid gets fuelled up on booze!. [Linked Image]
And the fact that his "friends" tried to prevent him climbing the tower, sort of suggests to me that he might have taken something else, as well as beer, I don't know.
I don't think that this guy will try that party trick again!.

J
I was working at a PSE&G generating station and the watcher, usually senior guy who gets paid to sit in a truck and watch the outside contractors work, said that if you were to try and climb on of the transmission towers that the static electricity would kill you before you got to the lines. Does anybody have any information on this?

Jim

JCooper,
Nah, he must have been having you on.
Line men work on these lines all the time, the key to doing it safely though is, not getting your body between the line and any earthed metal, as a flash-over will normally occur!.

N
JCooper,
I have personally climbed energized 500KV towers and I am still here to talk about it. It is a bit unnerving when you get up in between the conductors. Your hair stands up and the hum is so loud you have to yell to communicate. A couple things I was told by the lineman I was with was to climb bare handed (even though it was about 35 degrees) and make sure you have one hand planted at all times. If you don’t you could get a little tingle. The clearances are sufficient on these tower that you don’t become part of the circuit unless you do something like the kid in the story.

G
Iused to drink alcohol years ago,but I'll tell you,I ain't never been THAT drunk! [Linked Image]

Think about it Guys!.
Electricity will always take the quickest path to Earth.
If you are between a Transmission tower(which is Earthed)and an energised line you have a flash-over distance of 2000mm @ 70kV
(Source:NZECP44 Live line work and safe working distances).

Link Copied to Clipboard