ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 477 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced today that Tyco Electronics Corp., of Harrisburg, Pa., has agreed to continue offering the COPALUM connector repair system until at least 2005 for homes with aluminum wiring. The COPALUM repair system has benefited tens of thousands of consumers by reducing the risks of dangerous overheating and fire that can be caused by failing aluminum wiring connections. It is estimated that 2 million homes were built with aluminum wire between 1965 and 1973.

Warning signs, such as warm-to-the-touch face plates on outlets or switches, flickering lights, circuits that don't work, or the smell of burning plastics, can indicate a fire hazard within 15- and 20-ampere aluminum wiring circuits. A failure in the circuits can lead to electrical arcing and a serious fire, which can spread within the walls of a home before being detected.

The COPALUM crimp connector, which has been available for more than 20 years, is the only system recognized by CPSC that provides a complete and permanent repair and reduces the fire hazard in aluminum wire circuits. The COPALUM connector system attaches a copper wire to the old aluminum wires and is then crimped together with a power tool, achieving a "cold weld" between the conductors. The "cold weld" creates a permanent bond that eliminates electrical arcing or glowing connections and creates a safer electrical connection at outlets, switches, lights, circuit breakers, and panelboard terminals. The COPALUM connector repair materials and power crimping tools are only available to electricians who receive training from the manufacturer, to ensure that repairs are properly made.
Click >> more info Also see >> Repairing Aluminum Wiring (PDF)

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
Why would they ever discontinue that?

Has anyone ever done a study as to how many houses in the USA are still wired with aluminium inside the walls? That stuff is so scary.

Someone once posted a few pictures of a
Cu+Al splice overheating and actually igniting the Marrette that was screwed on it

Wonder how long until Cu/Al switches and sockets are also no longer available.

Sven,

Correct terminology would be CO-ALR
That's the designation required for devices that connect to Aluminum wire.

Bill

Bill
D
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission approx. 2 million homes were built between 1965 - 1973 using aluminum wiring.

B
So what is the real risk with aluminum branch wiring.
What percent or how many houses have actually burned from aluminum wiring.
I did an inspection for a buyer of a home which has 8 electric heaters wired with aluminum. The was no evidence of trouble in the connections I looked at.
I recommended periodic inspection.
Should I have recommended that the buyer run away.
It confuses me because my local distributer still has the Ideal #65 connector for sale.

Link Copied to Clipboard