ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
I would like to get opinions for a new type receptacle that has temperature sensing built into it. I have invented this and am in the process of UL Listing. It is a new catagory for receptacles. More information can be found on My web site www.FFProducts.com. I am looking to raise the bar on electrical fires, any input would be appreciated.

Hey Bob, welcome to the ECN group, and get ready for a great place to read & write, and learn.

Interesting item. What are you going to call it???
TSI (Temp sensing interupter)
HHI; (Hi heat interupter)
HCI (Heat circuit interupter)
HDI (Hot device interupter)

Hey 66, what do you think??

GFI, AFCI, and now.....??

Then, maybe someone will incorporate the devices together...

A GFIAFCITSI ??

Some humor within a long tough day...
Seriously, if it works, it could be a good thing.
John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 10-02-2002).]

John
Bob,

Welcome, I hope that you're up to some questions. I'm sure that some will follow.

BTW, I noticed your address, you didn't have far to go to get to this website, our servers must be across the street from you!

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
S
greetings Bob,

It is a very interesting point-of-use concept that you have here incorporating a thermal cutout into a device.

I imagine that any T-unit would need be proximal , and only serve that which is also.

Do you have a pictoral? schematic? etc....

N
Greetings Bob
This sounds like something that would better serve than AFCIs. To be accepted costs are going to have to be controlled. If these item add up to the current cost of GFCI receptacles, it would be a much easier sale than the expensive AFCIs. Of course reliable and easily understood technology ( missing from AFCIs)will make all of our safety efforts more acceptable to our customers.
Good luck

ed
R
We briefly discussed this product in the long AFCI thread last December.
AFCI thread
Look on the second page. Not too much support for the product back then.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
I like the idea! Monitor the temp of the hot and neutral bars, if it crosses a threshold of say, 120ÂșC, then *click*... No melting plugs!

Please pursue this idea, lots of variables and complexities to overcome, but I like it in principle!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
C-H Offline
Hi Bob!

I've had a look at your website. The product in itself is exactly what I was looking for some time ago.

What I do question is the fact that you have put the protection in the receptable with a manual reset (switching off the circuit breaker) Isn't it better to make quality receptables? (More stringent UL, CSA or CE requirements)

I would have thought it to be all those worn out and overfused old receptables that ran the risk of starting a fire. Wouldn't this product be of more use if put in the plug? The user will then have to pull the plug out of the socket, let it cool of and then (hopefully) plug it in somewhere else.

By the way: There is market you may not have thought of. In the US there is only one type of plug/socket. In Europe there are several, more or less compatible. (Which plugs are compatible with which sockets depends on the amount of force and ingenuity used)

Personally I'd love to see a version of the Europlug (a flat plug with flexing pins small enough to fit all sockets) with overheat protection.

Is it also possible to include short-circuit or overcurrent protection in your device? (I'm thinking of plugs for the British market)

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 10-03-2002).]

R
Ron Offline
Seems like a similar concept as sensing temperature at a circuit breaker, THERMAL magnetic trip. How is this recept different than a cb, other than it is point of use.

Ron
B
"...thermal technology..." "..There are many aspects of this broad patent..." "...the many and varied electrical products, machines, equipment and testing devices used in..."

Grossly nonspecific. No real product availability found.

Link Copied to Clipboard