ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#148005 04/25/03 12:02 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
It has just been announced here in New Zealand, that all new houses and alterations, are required to have Smoke Detectors installed in them.
These are to be mains-operated and are to be run from a dedicated circuit.
This is great as far as Fire Safety is concerned, I know that the NZ Fire Service has been lobbying the NZ government for years to get this law passed.
Are smoke detectors compulsory where you come from?.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#148006 04/25/03 12:13 AM
Trumpy,

They are required by the Building codes in my area inside each Bedroom and the hallway outside a bedroom and on each floor. (interconnected)

I don't think the dedicated circuit is a good idea. I've had people request that thinking it was a good idea so that they could turn them off if they became a nuisance.

What do you think?

Bill

Bill
#148007 04/25/03 12:27 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Gidday Bill,
Now there's an angle that I never thought of, thanks for that!.
It's just like people over here, pulling the battery out because of the Low Batt alarm, and not replacing the battery.
What the dedicated circuit idea was for, I think, was to save the S/A's being lumped in with the lighting circuits.
If only there was a way that good excess-current protection could be assured, but at the same time, making the thing tamper-proof. [Linked Image]

#148008 04/25/03 08:20 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Bill,
How many wires are required between the Smoke Detectors?.
Is there a standard size of wire used in the US for smoke detectors?.
Wouldn't mind some input from those in the UK, Paul,David, and also from Dapo in Australia!. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 04-25-2003).]

#148009 04/25/03 12:06 PM
G
GEO Offline
smoke alarms are required when a building permit is pulled in this area. they must be hardwired battery backup ,interconnected when possible in renovation, all the time in new homes. 14/3 most times(read the directions about smaller wire not allowed here)that's enough from me. GEO

#148010 04/25/03 12:40 PM
T
Austria: only required in public buildings, hotels, etc. They're sold at hardware stores, but I've _never_ seen a smoke alamrm in a residential building. I also never heard of any thoughts to make smokes compulsory. As far as I know people are more concerned about reducing fumes and smoke (less plastic, etc).

#148011 04/25/03 11:01 PM
Trumpy,

As GEO said it is a 3 wire setup. Two of the wires supply the 120v and the 3rd is only for interconnect between each unit and operates at some lower voltage. The interconnect also works when Line voltage is out and it's running on Battery (9v) power.

Bill

Bill
#148012 04/26/03 02:55 AM
N
I usually put the required smokes on the master bedroom lighting circuit. Too many home owners will turn off a dedicated circuit and throw the battery away rather than find out what is causing the smoke to chirp at them. The chirping is a trouble signal usally caused by a dead battery or a bad connection with the power.
If they cannot turn off the breaker because then the lights are out, the are more likely to fix the problem or have some one fix it for them.
A smoke is an item that we hope is never needed, but a life saver if it is working when needed.

ed
#148013 04/27/03 01:32 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
With a country the size of NZ(pop.4 million)
we have a real problem with deaths caused by House Fires that occur at night, we had a family of 5 lost in one incident up North a few months ago, no smoke detectors!.
And a lot of this is in low-income areas, where a NZ$10 smoke alarm, could save lives,
through the NZ Fire Service, us Firefighters have installed heaps of smoke alarms in local houses, but once the battery goes flat, thats it, it gets taken off the ceiling.
People just don't have any value on thier own lives these days!. [Linked Image]

#148014 04/30/03 05:42 PM
D
Hi Trumpy,
I'm amazed that NZ are only now requiring mains smoke alarms.
Here in Scotland (& possibly the rest of UK) they have been required in new build & refurbished dwellings since 1993.
If you do an alteration to your house requiring building warrant, mains powered smoke alarms with standby supply (battery) must be installed.
I actually install smokes in all rewires I do, regardless of whether building alterations are carried out.
The minimum number of alarms to be installed is one on each storey. Alarms must be installed within 3M of a bedroom door, & within 7M of a kitchen or livingroom door.
Wiring is carried out in standard twin & earth to the 1st alarm, with additional alarms connected with 3 core & earth (L,N,interconnect & E) cable.
A dedicated circuit may be installed or alarms may be wired to a local lighting circuit.
It is recommended that the alarms are wired on to a regularly used local lighting circuit to reduce the possibility of disconnection for "nuisance alarms".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard