ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Look Here for Information:

ELECTRICAL ACCIDENTS INFORMATION CENTRE

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Just read a rather worrying fact on that site:
508 men with breast cancer took part in a research programme, 95% of these men were found to be Electrical workers
This is not good!.

P
The only problem with all of these statistics is that you have to look carefully for any other common factors. Did they all come from the same area, for example, or did they all work at a particular place over the years?

There's a fact on that website, that I beg to differ with.
It states there, that Alternating current is 3 times more dangerous (shock-wise) than Direct current.
I would say that DC would be more dangerous,
because it has no "Current-Zero", and AC has a habit of throwing people away from contact, whereas with DC, your hands clench, and that's where they stay.
Also, I don't know where they got the arbitrary number of 3 from?
What are your thoughts on this?. [Linked Image]

B
FWIW, the US NEC formally considers ‘low voltage’ to be “…voltage no greater than 30 volts rms, 42 volts peak, or 60 volts dc.” The “60 volt” revision is a bit newer than the 30/42V limitation, and seems to have been a purely political move by The Bell System. IIRC, the submitted NEC proposal to bump up the DC value was accepted by the CMP without any significant substantiation several editions ago, primarily because telecomm central-office battery runs about 52-54 volts and the 42-volt limitation seems to have interfered with the “Bell Way of Doing Things.”

N
Trumpy
Any time statistics are used, I always remember an old saying-- "there are lies, damn lies and statistics." [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 04-22-2003).]

ed
nesparky,
Yeah, I guess you're right, never had it put as plainly as that before!. [Linked Image]

P
If the statistics come from any government department, they probably have a margin of error of something like +/-5000%!

I think that the general problem with many statistics is that they are taken out of context and then can't be taken literally.

Bill

Bill
One could say that a gross majority of auto accidents involve people wearing glasses, but who would come to the conclusion that corrective lenses would cause an accident?

Also, 85% of statistic are made up...

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard