ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#147890 03/29/03 11:48 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
How many of you people still have the old Halon Fire Extinguishers?.
These have been banned by the Ozone Protection Act 1992, as they contain CFC's.
Also pertaining to the use of extinguishers, how often do you have thier contents level, inspected?.
I gave a women a hand to extinguish her vehicle today, after the fuel-line ruptured under the bonnet, it was only then, that she realised that her extinguisher was empty.
Also, how many people, realise that a normal sized extinguisher, only gives a maximum discharge time of 10-15 seconds?.
Most people that I have spoken to, expected something like 3-5 minutes. [Linked Image]
What are your thoughts on all this?.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#147891 04/01/03 05:22 PM
H
Our last halon extinguisher was purchased by some aircraft manufacturer for a couple of hundred bucks. They are still allowed to use them (at least they were 24 months ago) in planes as well as some other high tech applications.

As far as the issue of how long extinguishers last, unless they're trained, how would anyone know...

#147892 04/01/03 05:34 PM
P
Last extinguisher I looked at was a foam type, in commerical premises just a few days ago. The last test date written on the label was sometime in 1997!

#147893 04/02/03 02:37 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
The reason I brought this subject up, is I read the other day in a Trade Magazine, that
our good friends at OSH(Occupational Health And Safety), will be carrying out "spot- checks" of various contractors vehicles to make sure that they are carrying proper Fire Extinguishers, not having one will cost you a NZ$150 fine, is this harrasment or what?, why don't they check a few restaurants and service-stations at the same time!.
I think some-one had an idea at OSH, as to what they could do for the next few months.

#147894 04/03/03 02:14 PM
T
I wonder if the spot-checks are a reaction to a specific incident?

I do remember seeing a fire extinguisher (and an axe, if I am not mistaken) on every yellow school bus when I was young.

#147895 04/04/03 06:00 AM
P
Aren't there one or two European countries that require all vehicles, including private cars to carry a fire extinguisher?

#147896 04/04/03 05:38 PM
S
Legislation aside, it's a good idea to have a can available. I take it the A-B-C-D is universal?

To backup Hazmat (who's monkier insinuates he does know) a little forthought on it's usage would be prudent..
[threadjack]
Years ago there was a fire on the 1st flr of a ski shalet, 4 skiers were in the 2nd flr. They threw the fat one out the window (who broke an ankle) and two others used him to land on (ribs, etc..)
Skier #4 found a can , and decided to take on the fire....we found the decedant with can in hand....it had been an old brass ornate antique...

[/align]

#147897 04/04/03 08:01 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
ThinkGood,
I bet you wouldn't see an axe in a school bus, these days! [Linked Image]
Paul,
I have heard from people who have purchased cars (that are imported directly from Japan), that the fire extinguishers have already been used(ie; are empty).
Not sure what's going on there! [Linked Image]

#147898 04/06/03 08:01 AM
T
Betcha the extinguishers were used in one of their weird TV shows! [Linked Image]
Not sure about Halon extinguishers here in Austria, all residential ones I know of are ABC foam.
I think the extinguishers in public buildings, schools, etc have to be inspected every 3 years.
I know of some not-so-pleasant experiences with these extinguishers. Once I saw some agricultural vehicle burn down due to an electrical fault that ignited wheat dust, the extinguisher didn't work at all. Fortunately it was an open vehicle, so all the driver had to do was to jump off.
Another experience was when a car went up in falmes across the street. We watched from our balcony as some guys tried to put out the fire with said extinguishers. They were empty almost immediately and had almost no effect (these guys used 10l ones), especially operated by non-trained personnel. The car itself wasn't burning at this point, something dripped down and burned beneath the car. However, these guys kept emptying their extinguishers onto the hood.Then the police arrived. With a 2l extinguisher! Again onto the hood.
After half an hour or so the fire department arrived. First they nearly didn'T get around the corner. Then they did what everybody before had done. Without success. They connected a hose to their truck, the water ran out on the pavement next to the hose, but it din't come out of the hose. Meanwhile another firefighter tried extinguishing the fire with a small hand-operated water pump. By now, the car was severely damaged. Then they finally realized that there was a hydrant 10 m from the car! Now they finally managed to put out the fire. Car beyond saving, next car also severly damaged (they were parked side by side).
This experience made me realize that these extinguishers are of very limited use if you don't know _exactly_ what you're doing. And it made me realize that our fire department is not exactly reliable.

#147899 04/06/03 08:07 AM
T
One addition: Refilling Halon extinguishers is illegal in Austria since 01/01/00, all existing ones have to go until the end of 2003.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard