ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 533 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#147806 02/23/03 03:44 PM
S
Trumpy,
another apprentice hazing eh? i'm glad s/he walked away from it.

How are the contractors in your area? Do they seem to care about employee safety or do they just go about their routines like we all used to?

Websparky,
we are horribly ingnorant, which is why i have no love for a system that is never seen or heard from, not to mention pay tax dollars into.

In the latter sense, there is much legislated of worthy intent, yet one needs to follow the money afterwards to realize the true efficy

as a mentor once told me "What works works" as such, the bueracratic wind from ivory towers does little for us here.

Nor will it ever do so with our 300+- annual fatalities in contrast to 50K highway ones.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#147807 02/23/03 05:24 PM
W
sparky,

Nor will it ever do so with our 300+- annual fatalities in contrast to 50K highway ones.
Wow, I had no idea......300!
I am not one for legislative mandates either. Somewhere, through education and common sense, places like this forum and instructors like Joe and others, we can collectively make a difference.
One does wonder what OSHA does with it's revenue to help spread the word...... I'm not sure if they do anything along those lines.

Dave

Dave
#147808 02/23/03 07:02 PM
S
Agreed Dave,
any group that can network can grow, even to collectively affect legislative matters should it channel energy in that direction.

#147809 02/24/03 12:52 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
It was interesting to see.
Our Boss, came with us on a Safety course, to see what they taught and because he thought that it would give him a reduction in the Company ACC premiums. [Linked Image]
Well, he was all for these safe practices, Hazard Assessments, etc, I've never seen him ask so many questions, apart from the time when Ken (the Service Manager), reversed into an old lady in his 4WD, down town!. [Linked Image]
The next day at work, it was back to the Status Quo,"Safety?, haven't got tp think about that, just do it!".
Leopard can't change, it's spots, eh?. [Linked Image]

#147810 02/24/03 12:43 PM
S
Well this has been a very interesting discussion for me to read. You see I am the safety guy at work. It sounds like I should consider myself lucky. I show the company the regulation and then we follow the regulation. I have never had someone refuse to do a job because of safety reasons. Usually it is the other way, when I walk around I will tell people to stop doing the job the way they are doing it and tell them the correct way to do it.

I am in California and fall under Cal/OSHA. However I get a lot of my information from the OSHA website. The OSHA regulation are written in a manner that is easier to understand. Also the website has letters of interpretation. Some people have written into OSHA asking a clarification of a standard the OSHA will respond with the interpretation. However this is a double edged sword. While the information is useful sometimes the letter of interpretation is stricter than the standard. Therefore you are creating a regulation without going through the approval process.

I personally feel that the OSHAs should focus more on training and informing work places on regulations than on enforcement. In the past we have brought in Cal/OSHA consulation. They do an inspection and give us a time table to fix any problems. No fines. I think if this were emphasized that more companies would use this service. However the corporate culture is to be scared of OSHA and view it as the enemy.

I of course have more to say but I know that you are falling asleep.

Trumpy, kudos to you and the apprentice. Buy him a beer for doing the right thing.

Scott

#147811 02/24/03 09:22 PM
S
Scotts,
one can advocate safety ,yet view the empirical nature of the safety biz with scrutiny.

OSHA, in it's 30+ yr tenure has not gone out of it's way to educate the populance, nor would any enforcing agency normally do so.

Having watched the senate trash ergonomics on the dish here, it's fairly bad when one arm of goverment publicly blasts another, the regime seems in decline

But they had it comming because ergonomics was nothing more than a lobbied ploy to trash small biz, the senators where merciless...

Gestapo tactics are a poor marketing tactic of safety sales.

#147812 03/04/03 01:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Can anyone tell me, if there is such a thing as a maximum temperature, in which an employee, can be asked to work in, under OSHA regulations?.
The reason I ask this, is because, I recently installed an Air Con unit in a Commercial kitchen, where, before this was fitted, it was as hot as H**L!.
The chefs, that worked there, were taking sick leave all of the time, they are happy now!.
Apparently, the temperature, used to rise to 52 degrees C, when all of the cooking equipment was on.
Can you help?. [Linked Image]

#147813 03/06/03 07:43 PM
W
Hey Trumpy,

I've searched hi and low..... can't find a thing about working in high heat enviroments.

Dave

Dave
#147814 03/10/03 08:19 PM
S
Did U inquire @ OSHA's web site?

Not that it would do a hick electrician like myself any good, the kids gotta eat during a heat wave too.

pound that H2O!

#147815 03/11/03 12:38 PM
S
I looked the OSHA website for heat and I did not see anything. I doubt if there is because how could you write a regulation that would apply to a steel mill, pretty hot in there.
Scott

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard