ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 114 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Found in the 1953 Edition, anyone have later issues with same advice?

[Linked Image]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
B
For a test procedure, that is Flat Out Gnarley! I’ve always felt that meters and test lamps were a waste of time. ;-) ;-) ;-) Finally…proof positive.

B
One question though — What size resistor should one use to scale this up to “110, 220 and 440” volt circuits? ;-) ;-) ;-)

O
Joe,
Regarding the "American Electricians Handbook" I don't have a later edition but I do have earlier editions. That text was in all pervious edition right back to the first edition (CIRCA 1913 or so), I'm not at home in my library right now. I wondered if it was in any 1950's editions. Like you I wonder how long it appeared. The previous paragraph (not shown) talks about testing for the presence ov voltage with the fingers and suggests that only "real electricians" can handle it. I'll bet that's responsible for the mind set and the "old timers" teaching the newbies that it's OK to bare hand 120v circuits.
Personally I try to avoid mentioning those references for fear of prepetuating that nonsense. Thanks Joe for the historic blast from the past and have a great day.
OSHA Professor
Grizzy

Broom Pusher and
LOL @ Bjarney!!! [Linked Image] ;-) ~:-P

One question though — What size resistor should one use to scale this up to
“110, 220 and 440” volt circuits? ;-) ;-) ;-)

How about a 2.5 M Ohm (Mega Ohm) Pot, so only one ballasting device is needed acrossed a wide range? Calibration done via worst enemy test subject (Saddam Insane would be qualified test subject).
To increase the "Russian Roulette Effect", use an Audio taper Pot.

Sorry, just couldn't resist this one!!!

[Linked Image]

Scott35 S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
T
That's how I learned to check 9-volt batteries...

Don't think I would like to try that one, these days, with induced voltages in cables.
I like my tongue, it helps me to talk. [Linked Image]

L
Reading this thread, I keep seeing the image of "Uncle Fester" (Adams Family) with the light bulb in his mouth...

I worked many years ago with an old timer who would first lick, then press his thumb against a lug in a panel. He'd then show me the dent in his thumb left by the pressure against the corner of the lug, and say, "Yeah, that's 480 -- you can feel it!"
Good old Rocco, the human wiggy...

Grizzy

That paragraph is also a reason for us to be concerned about thos who ignore the hazards involved when making contact with live terminals.

I just checked my 1970 edition and that information was not to be found, so we need to find out when the words were removed.

It's my guess that it was when John Watt became the editor??

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
B
Scott35--it's probably not audio taper, but...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard