ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 137 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
There was a fire in Rev. Al Sharpton's office today. For those not familiar with New York City's political and activism scene, Al Sharpton is a preacher-turned-civil rights activist and advocate.

FDNY Inspectors are focusing on a POWER STRIP PLUGGED INTO AN EXTENSION CORD THAT WAS RUNNING BEHIND SOME BOXES as the possible cause.

Here is the story from the January 22, 2002 New York Daily News:

Extension cord may have caused fire at Rev. Al's HQ

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

An electrical fire tore through the Rev. Al Sharpton's Harlem headquarters, gutting its reception hall and causing damage throughout its offices just one day after Sharpton joined the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Fire investigators were focusing on an extension cord as the cause of the Wednesday morning blaze, Chief Fire Marshal Louis Garcia said. Based on witness accounts and a fire department investigation, a power strip was plugged into the extension cord, which had boxes resting on it, Garcia said.

"It looks like an electrical short," he said.

The fire, reported around 8:30 a.m., spread quickly through the reception hall of Sharpton's National Action Network, bringing dozens of firefighters to the three-story brick building before the blaze was extinguished a little more than an hour later. One man was treated for smoke inhalation.

"The entire auditorium is gone," Sharpton spokeswoman Rachel Noerdlinger said. "The place is definitely devastated."

Known as the House of Justice, the reception hall and its adjoining office have served as Sharpton's political base. From there, he has presided over countless press conferences, castigating and cajoling city and national leaders.

An adjoining office that houses financial records was mostly undamaged but was not immediately usable, Noerdlinger and fire officials said. Sharpton was looking for a temporary location for his live weekend radio broadcast, she said.

Sharpton filed papers in Washington Tuesday to join the race for the Democrats' 2004 presidential nomination, saying the party needed to expand its base of support.

He toured his damaged offices with New York's chief fire marshal after arriving from Washington Wednesday afternoon. He later declared that the blaze would "in no way abate in any shape or form" his run for president.

Sharpton's longtime office manager said he was alone in the second-floor headquarters when he went to the bathroom, came out, smelled smoke and fled, Noerdlinger said. He was interviewed by fire investigators Wednesday in the presence of Sharpton and the group's attorney, Noerdlinger said.

The fire spread to the third floor, occupied by the Israeli Church of UPK. A 23-year-old man pulled from a third-floor window to safety by firefighters and taken to Harlem Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

Fire marshals also interviewed the man and a cook from a West Indian restaurant on the first floor.

Dignitaries including Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer had joined Sharpton at the offices Monday for a forum commemorating the life of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Ignorance is bliss?

Wow. Good thing all survived. It's sad that this could have been easily prevented by better understanding.

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
I don't really like the idea of using extension cords or multi-boxes, they are a poor cousin to sufficient fixed-wired points,
they are always open to abuse, especially where, portable heaters are concerned.
At least you can control the ampacity of fix-
wired circuits. [Linked Image]

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
I wonder, if it was a short circuit, why didn't the fuses in Sharpton's office blow?

This past Friday night I walked by a store-front bank.

They had a space heater at the foot of almost each desk it seemed. I kind of spotted about five or six....it was cold and I didn't want to stop, take count and see what they were plugged into.

Who knows what the reasons for so many space heaters was. Could the building's boiler have burst or gone out? Still...it seemed a tad dangerous.

S
nothing like a first hand experience for our leaders to aquire a little insight eh?

perhaps xtension cord abuse will assume some wierd civil liberties or homeland security twist in 04'?

Link Copied to Clipboard