ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 277 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Ok, dumb question dujour.Being a country boy and not a Philadelphia lawyer, and having a somewhat of a hard time reading the code. In figureing allowable ampacities, 310-16, Would the ground conductor be considered a current carrier? or since it's not supposed to carry current, it doesn't figure into the equation.
OK big roundel on my backside, feel free to take a shot.
Trainwire

R
Train,
You need to be more specific about what conductor that you are referring to. Are you talking about the equipment grounding conductor or the grounded conductor? If it is the EGC, that is never counted for derating purposes. Derating if required only because of the heat that is produced in the current carrying wires. If you are talking about the grounded conductor, then the answer is, sometimes. If the grounded conductor is part of a multiwire circuit and there is not a lot of non-linear loads on the circuit, then it is not counted. If it is not part of a multiwire circuit, it is always counted. It is also counted when part of a multiwire circuit where the majority of the loads are non-linear. If you have a three phase system and are using only 2 phases and a grounded conductor, it is counted.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
T
In this case it is the conductor to tie the case of a transformer to the case of the panel feeding it.
Trainwire

Sounds like that's an Equipment Grounding Conductor and is therefore exempt from the derating factors.

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Thanks that's what I thought, but have you ever started thinking about something, and suddenly start doubting yourself?

Trainwire

P
That would be the same under U.K. rules. An equipment grounding conductor (earth continuity conductor, circuit protective conductor, or any other fancy name) is not intended to carry current in normal use and is therefore not counted for derating purposes.

Trainwire, you know I've been there! That describes me every moment of every day at work!

It's great that ECN accepts our questions without flames or ridicule.

And you'll never beat me on the ignorance thing! Scott35 and myself have been arguing over who is the self-appointed ECN village idiot for well over a year now... I think I got him beat hands down!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
Thanks 66WV, that maks me feel a little better.
Train

Broom Pusher and
Virgil,

And you'll never beat me on the ignorance thing! Scott35 and myself have been arguing over who is the self-appointed ECN village idiot for well
over a year now... I think I got him beat hands down!

LOL!!!

Once again I will always be the reigning ECN Village Idiot!!!
Could use a few Proteges to Mentor [Linked Image]

On a semi-related note, still need to create an Animated GIF with Dunce Cap or growing Donkey Ears. What was that App for making said .gif files? Does Paint Shop Pro's Animation Gallery have this? [haven't explored too much]

Scott S.E.T.
aka "Don-key Jotte (Don Quijote, or however it's spelled)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!

Link Copied to Clipboard