ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 174 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
cubby964
No, not you, I think you are right, teach by example.

I am concerned that some folks might think that I was making a personal attack against them and that was not my intent, I just hate to see folks hurt at work.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
iwire, no name calling here.Just a difference in opinions and geography. Btw I do have and use a face shield and gloves when nessesary.And yes I do agree that safty should be everyones main concern. Respectfully,Russell

I
ga.sparky56,

Thanks, You are right I have never worked in your area.

Respectfully, Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Don't forget about 1000V tools including a torque wrench and a torque screwdriver, and BTW, torque tools are supposed to be only used in the middle of their range, and any torquing to the extremes requires another properly calibrated, middle-of-the-range-for-the-use torque tool that is 1000V dielectrically rated. Oh yes, you'll need to double up on the torque tools so you'll still have one when you send the other back in for calibration.

Without these tools and the PPE mentioned above, one should not install circuit breakers in live panels.

This is what I have learned.

It seems like a daunting task for a company that barely broke $30K gross in '02.

1000V Torque screwdriver: $415.00
1000V Torque Wrench 15-75 in-lbs: $490.00
1000V Torque Wrench 30-150 in-lbs: $453.00
1000V Torque Wrench 50-250 in-lbs: $453.00

1000V Electricians Basic Tool Set: $640.00

Class "00" Gloves (Inner and outer) $123.00

Dielctric Overshoes: $42.00

Arc Shield: $69.00

Class "O" Blankets: $210.00

Total: $2895.00

Typical price for 200A UG Service: $800

Materials: $400

Helper @ $10: $80.00

Me @ $30: $240.00

Left over: $80.00

Cost of tools ratio: 36.1875:1

I do about 20 services a year.

Not included: vehicle, office, inspection, insurance, business, tool calibration and repair and other expenses.

Would take almost two years of company profit on jobs related to the use of the tools and PPE to pay for them.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 01-16-2003).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
I can't figure out who the derogatory name calling was/is directed to, but it popped up after my comments.

I posted a "XX" kind of word, and I used it as an expression, kind of like " an excersize of futility".

John

John
I
Not anyone in particular, But after reading one of my own posts, I thought that I came off like a "know it all jerk"

The people that post on this site obviously care about their trade, and I do not want anyone to think I was trying to say I am better then them. I am here to learn more about my trade, not make enemies.

I can do that on the job, I am a Safety Officer for my company, and some of the guys call me SOB, they tell be that means Safety Officer Bob. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
sparky66wv, you are right that is a hell of a bill, my post suggested a basic PPE set up.

Of course it would be tough to buy all at once, how about a little at a time just as we all do with the rest of our tools.

As far as torque wrenches only buy the ones for the range you work on.

Or get the panel shut down, always much better then trying to work with the PPE on. I do not know the situations you work under so this might not work for you, but I will tell you how we deal with it.

When a customer asks us to do live work we have a preprinted Hot Work form. That in a nutshell says we will do the work but if the sh*t hits the fan we are not responsible for downtime or property damage.

95% of the time they will not sign and will find a way to shut down.

I get a lot of easy overtime to go in at off hours just to put in a breaker. [Linked Image]

If it's the utility that needs to do the shut down, once you find the right guy to call it is not really a problem if you plan ahead.

We use safety as a selling point it works good in the North East.

Respectfully Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-17-2003).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
O
With all due respect and since many are arguing the cost issue for PPE may I respectfully suggest that you shop a little more prodigiously.
Personally I send out via e-mail (internet is a wonderful thing) RFQ”s (request for quotations) for all sorts of things including my auto insurance.
Several posts have listed class O gloves with leather protectors at over $100.00
I can get it for you wholesale. That’s a little levity. In point of fact, class O gloves with protectors are about $ 60 - 65. Class OO’s are even less. http://www.habitatforsafety.com/Shop/Products.asp?Category=GLV-ELEC

Blankets although very good are not necessarily the best value for the $. Even utilities are using what is called insulated sheeting which is much less expensive then blankets and comes on a roll (rolls are various widths) and can be cut to length needed. When utilities are called to blanket for example service drop splices / connections they use this stuff and attach with nylon ties and basically just abandon it (never show up to remove it). It’s that much cheaper than blankets or line hose. The sheeting is tested to ASTM standards just like the blankets and is just as protective. One brand is “Shock Shield”. There are several brands and one brand is clear so you can see through it. Personally I also recommend it to cover temporary panels on a construction site. It can be cut to size and holes punched through it to match the screw holes in the panel and then attached with nylon ties. That’s much better than cardboard. It’s very tough stuff and you cant tear it by hand. Look into that stuff.
Under most circumstances, "full blown hazard category 4 (per 70E) arc flash suits" are not necessary. The typical electrical worker should have (1) either an FR uniform that is standard work wear OR FR coveralls to put on over normal work wear, (2) Rubber Insulating Gloves with Leather Protectors (I recommend a glove bag and glove dust), (3) Safety Glasses (standard at most industrial facilities and construction sites along with a hard hat which you already own and need to get on many construction sites). Additionally, the worker may require a face shield or flash hood in some circumstances. Usually, the areas where a full arc suit is required are few and far between (MCC’s, main gear etc.). Consult NFPA 70E for full requirements.

I don’t get very excited about dielectric (insulated) overshoes. Even when worn there are usually too many other parts of the body like arms and torso that can contact live parts as well as grounded enclosures etc. Additionally the ASTM tests for dielectric overshoes is marginal at best and as the shoes are worn and walked on what becomes of the insulating protection, obviously it degredates. The better bet is to use gloves and cover as much of the grounded enclosure as well as other live parts not being worked on with the sheeting I mentioned (or blankets if you prefer) and / or consider insulated sleeves as well. Remember deenergizing and lockout eliminate all of the electrical PPE requirements.

Many of the other tools and prices posted are also overpriced at least per your quotes.
OSHA doesn’t endorse products but we do suggest appropriate hazard abatements.
Call Habitat for Safety at (440) 286-5502 for PPE pricing. Habitat can also sell you a copy of NFPA 70E for NFPA member price (even if you're not a member) of $26.75.. NFPA 70E lays out the details of PPE and how/when to use PPE. Having said that be sure to check if the 2003 edition is out yet, it’s about to be released and if you purchase 70E you might as well get the latest copy.

If you tell Habitat that OSHA Professor Grizzy told you to call they will do right by you, and NO I don’t have interests in the company, I’m just trying to find the best possible prices on PPE for professionals to keep you safe. It may sound altruistic but that’s my job and I’m committed to the mission of OSHA. I guess I’ve just seen too many dead bodies and conducted too many accident investigations. I agree that in this day and age and in this economy, especially a small business has to shop prodigiously for not only supplies for the job but also for tools and equipment which includes the PPE.

OSHA Professor - Grizzy

B
To add a comment to Professer Grizz’ detailed and most informational posting, let me mention some gnarly, resonably priced and real decent—but less than Class 4--material is “Electroliner” {1kV} high-vis-yellow flame-retardant [sold by the yard] insulating sheeting at: http://www.burlingtonsafety.com/es.htm

One more — An online-catalog place for arc-resistant PPE gear is: http://www.oberoncompany.com/index.en.html

O
Bjarney,
Thank you. That's exactly the stuff I was talking about "electroliner" by Burlington Safety Labs. Burlington Safety labs used to call the product "Shock Shield". Must have changed the name though.
Thanks again for the clarification.
Regards,
Grizzy

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard