ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
My coworker says it is OK to force a motor starter contactor by hand when troubleshooting or bumping for motor rotation. He says he ohms to ground with Fluke then uses handtool to depress contactor. I say he could loose a hand this way. I would rather troubleshoot the control circuit as to why I can't control remotely. Please let us know your opinions and experiences.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
I do it all the time with small motors, less than 20 hp. I can't see a senario where I could potentially "loose a hand".

The biggest danger is to the equipment. If the contactor is not fully closed arcing can quickly damage the starter.

GJ

R
We have entered a new age with regard to electrical safety. Many old practices are no longer considered acceptable. The dangers of arc-flash & blast are coming to the forefront with electrocution.
The practice you describe would not be accepted in a corprate environment where there was a formal electrical safety program.
I imagine the unions would frown upon it as well.

B
Don't forget that plain-vanilla 3-wire control will "latch." If this happens and an upstream disconnet has to be opened, motor regeneration will ususally cause sluggish dropout of contactor.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-26-2002).]

Link Copied to Clipboard