ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 466 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Gramps, just curious.
You said you are a union shop. Traditionally the rate for second shift has been to work 7.5 hours and get paid for 8 + a 10% shift differential. I just found out that there is new international language for locals to adopted concerning shift pay. It goes like this. Gone is the 7.5 (2nd) 7(3rd) paid for 8, 10 and 15% shift differential. In is 8hr shifts with a flat 17.3% for second and 31.4% shift differentials. If you have heard of it or your area has adopted it what is the general concessus? Local 441 (Orange County) adopted it recently. Local 440 was strongly opposed. It has not come up in my local (477) yet. I think it is great. It doesn't cost the contractor any more money over all (same actual per hour cost) and the crews get to bank a little more money. I am starting a job in 441 next week where I will be the night GF on a fast track project. I am kind of excited about it because of the extra money per hour with lots of OT to boot. I don't mean to bring up union issues here but I am curious for input on this and most of the IBEW boards you can't say anything that goes against the traditional mainstream without having to go to the burn center afterwards. [Linked Image]
Good luck with the project! (If you get it)

[This message has been edited by Nick (edited 10-02-2002).]

G
gramps Offline OP
yes nick, that is typical here too. (local 683, columbus, ohio). these guys are good to work with tho'. they are offered the option of 8 hrs. pay for 7 1/2 hrs. work, or, on a job such as this when the daily routine could, and often does, run into 10, 11, or 12 hour shifts, they have the option of compiling their hours on a weekly basis. i.e., after 37 1/2 hours the overtime rate begins, with double time kicking in after 54 hours. and yes, the 10% shift differential is common here, even the non-union shops. the caliber and professionalism of the guys from this local is very commendable, and most all of them request to stay with the job from start to finish, instead of just working a "day here and a day there"... [Linked Image]
even the young guys, the newbies, and the 2nd and 3rd year apprentices, love the idea of seeing a job through to the very end.. many of them have aspirations of starting their own business one day, and are very conscentious about their work ethic. that quality is hard to find sometimes. [Linked Image]

btw, this new plant is located in the newark, ohio area...not far from buckeye lake and kirkersville, (home of the Super Chevy Nationals annual drag racing event... [Linked Image]).

J
gramps please email me at

jholston@columbus.rr.com

I would like to talk with you about some things that is not far from me as you can see by my email, i have some local questions and pepsi questions. thanks in advance.

S
SJT Offline
How's it goig? You had mentioned stainless conduit. Can that be bent by hand. Would you treat it like Galv. with the amount of conductors in the pipe?
Good luck with the job

G
gramps Offline OP
yes, s/s conduit is bent the same as galv. we use greenlee power benders and ratchet benders. when threading, we have dies that are dedicated to s/s only, with cutters specified for stainless, and s/s cutting fluid. we also have knockout punches for s/s. the wall thickness and "schedule" specs are the same as galv. rigid conduit, so the fill tables remain the same. never seen any s/s EMT, but i suppose they make that too.
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard