ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
Let's see I was only in the trade for about 3 weeks.At the time I was working for an old timmer his name was mr. burns!!! Any how we were working in a bank on the lighting 277v I was working in a junction box (5s box)mr.burns tells me " do you see them white wires there " I said yes I do he said they are dead go ahead and put them together.Well I did not know at the time use a tester never trust another persons word.With my elbow resting on the grid I went ahead and put all 8 of them together.That's when I first met god!! I could not let go !! There was a framer walking by and saw what was going on.He hit the ladder with a board to break me free..If it were not for him I would have been toast.Mr. burns never used a tester just his fingers.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Just a few days ago, Thursday, I think, I was installing fixtures in Spring House 9. While installing a sconce, I looked at the switch, saw that it was in the up position, flipped it down, a little voice in my head said "probe it" which I ignored... commenced to stripping the insulation on the black wire, and got the nastiest wet-handed hand to hand shock I have received in five or six years. My first thought was "3-Way, you idiot", I had wired the house myself! My hands were damp from a towelette from frequent washing of our hands to prevent fingerprints and dirt from becoming back-charges. Yesterday I was working late and had the main off and was still probing every box before stripping, cutting or pulling wirenuts off.

I also made sure I was wearing a shirt with a pocket to make the volt-probe ever-handy.

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

<disclaimer>
Yes, I always check my probe on known live and dead circuits before trusting it at all, and I never fully trust it as with any metering device... Just trying to avoid obvious concerns over such...
</disclaimer>

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Look at this thread for additional stories that are always good to review so that the same mistake is not made again!

I suppose properly rated gloves would be helpful if they were used.

What are the OSHA rules that are related to this subject?

George, oh George were are you??

https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000269.html

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
T
First rule of apprenticeship......Never trust anyone named Mr.Burns [Linked Image] OUCH !!!

Donnie

Link Copied to Clipboard