ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I am looking for any specific OSHA or other reference in any other code or document related to electrical saftey concerning the requirement that calls for at least two qualified persons when working on energized electrical systems . Any help will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-04-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
L
DHHS (NIOSH) Publication 2002-123
It doesn't sound like a law, but they say to work with a buddy in this Literature.
~online version(near top) http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-123/2002-123e.html#sect82
~acrobat version(page 55) http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-123/pdfs/02-123.pdf

I also found this list of on the job electrocutions sad, but interesting. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/injury/traumaelface.html

~Lance~

S
It all depends on the type of work that is being done as to which of these standards is enforced, but here are the requirements for "2" people:

For General Industry Workers:

1910.335(b)(3)Attendants. If signs and barricades do not provide sufficient warning and protection from electrical hazards, an attendant shall be stationed to warn and protect employees.

or for workers in the Electric Power Generation, Transmission, and Distribution business:

1910.269(e)(7)"Attendants." While work is being performed in the enclosed space, a person with first aid training meeting paragraph (b) of this section shall be immediately available outside the enclosed space to render emergency assistance if there is reason to believe that a hazard may exist in the space or if a hazard exists because of traffic patterns in the area of the opening used for entry. That person is not precluded from performing other duties outside the enclosed space if these duties do not distract the attendant from monitoring employees within the space. Note: See paragraph (t)(3) of this section for additional requirements on attendants for work in manholes.

Except as provided in paragraph (l)(1)(ii) of this section, at least two employees shall be present while the following types of work are being performed:
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(A)Installation, removal, or repair of lines that are energized at more than 600 volts,
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(B)Installation, removal, or repair of deenergized lines if an employee is exposed to contact with other parts energized at more than 600 volts,
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(C)Installation, removal, or repair of equipment, such as transformers, capacitors, and regulators, if an employee is exposed to contact with parts energized at more than 600 volts,
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(D)Work involving the use of mechanical equipment, other than insulated aerial lifts, near parts energized at more than 600 volts, and
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(E)Other work that exposes an employee to electrical hazards greater than or equal to those posed by operations that are specifically listed in paragraphs (l)(1)(i)(A) through (l)(1)(i)(D) of this section.

1910.269(l)(1)(ii)Paragraph (l)(1)(i) of this section does not apply to the following operations:
1910.269(l)(1)(ii)(A)Routine switching of circuits, if the employer can demonstrate that conditions at the site allow this work to be performed safely,
1910.269(l)(1)(ii)(B)Work performed with live-line tools if the employee is positioned so that he or she is neither within reach of nor otherwise exposed to contact with energized parts, and
1910.269(l)(1)(ii)(C)Emergency repairs to the extent necessary to safeguard the general public.

Bryan www.SAFTENG.net

Thanks for the help. I have copies of the information you described, and will inform others of this reply.

Some of the residents in this city use a baseball bat to change the street lights, or confuse the controllers so that the lights will become inoperative.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-05-2002).]

S
Joe,

You mentioned a "city" in your reply. Keep in mind, if these are goverment workers you are talking about and they work in a State that does not have a State run OSHA program, they are NOT covered by federal OSHA so they may be able to skirt the OSHA regulations that were referenced. What city is this state in? If you let me know I can then let you know if they are covered under federal OSHA or if they are under a state plan or if they are just counting their days!

Bryan www.SAFTENG.net

Bryan:

The City is in Nevada. I appreciate this information.

Joe

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-07-2002).]

S
There are currently 23 States and jurisdictions operating complete State plans (covering both the private sector and State and local government employees) and three - Connecticut, New Jersey and New York - which cover public employees only. Nevada is one of the 23 states so their city employees are covered by their state OSHA plan.

Bryan www.SAFTENG.net

B
Joe— Does anything in NFPA 70E {minimum-approach} text address the issue?

Exempli gratia: Limits of Approach / Preparation for Approach / Unqualified Persons, Safe Approach Distance / Qualified Persons, Safe Approach Distance

“Qualified” meaning formal instruction and recently demonstrated competence in 29CFR1910.331-.335

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-06-2002).]

Thanks Bryan:

Here is a link for the person who asked me this question during our training. This site may be useful for the subject being discussed here:

http://www.employerhelp.com/safetyplanplus/sppst.htm

Bjarney:I would look at 70 E under Chapter 2 General Requirements for Electrical Work Practices.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 06-07-2002).]

S
Great links page Joe. Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard