ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Posted for MW
I am interested in the methods used by electrical utilities nationwide to address the problem of securing fire scenes from electrical hazards. I fully sympathize with the firefighters plight and would like to be instrumental in fostering a productive process by which we can come to a logical method of resolving this problem. Our foremost concern is for the safety of everyone involved in emergencys involving electrical hazards. If you would be willing to post this question to the Forum Members it will be of great help to me.

Thank you,
MW

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-16-2002).]

Bill
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
See NFPA 921
Guide for
Fire and Explosion Investigations
2001 Edition

Committee Scope: This Committee shall have primary responsibility for documents relating to techniques to be used in investigating fires, and equipment and facilities designed to assist or be used in developing or verifying data needed by fire investigators in the determination of the origin and development of hostile fires.

Chapter 6 Electricity and Fire
6.1 Introduction.
This chapter discusses the analysis of electrical systems and equipment. The primary emphasis is on buildings with 120/240-volt, single-phase electrical systems. These voltages are typical in residential and commercial buildings. This chapter also discusses the basic principles of physics that relate to electricity and fire.
Prior to beginning an analysis of a specific electrical item, it is assumed that the person responsible for determining the cause of the fire will have already defined the area or point of origin. Electrical equipment should be considered as an ignition source equally with all other possible sources and not as either a first or last choice. The presence of electrical wiring or equipment at or near the origin of a fire does not necessarily mean that the fire was caused by electrical energy. Often the fire may destroy insulation or cause changes in the appearance of conductors or equipment that can lead to false assumptions. Careful evaluation is warranted.
Electrical conductors and equipment that are used appropriately and protected by properly sized and operating fuses or circuit breakers do not normally present a fire hazard. However, the conductors and equipment can provide ignition sources if easily ignitable materials are present where they have been improperly installed or used. A condition in the electrical wiring that does not conform to the NFPA 70, National Electrical CodeĀ®, might or might not be related to the cause of a fire.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 01-16-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
MW,
I take it you mean during mitigation of a working structure.
It was not long ago , firetrucks carried meter seals & meters were yanked.
Today's Utilities would rather you wait for them.

Link Copied to Clipboard