ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
And for the North Island Haywards in the Hutt Valley is a must too, although the DC is converted here back into AC (220 kV) to go 660 km North to Auckland.
On dry periods of the year the thermal stations from the North will generate power back to the South Island.

But i admit that the 50 Hz hum at Benmore Powerstation with the flowing blue turquoise water is fanstastic and relaxing and very grunty too laugh

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Ray,
Now there are quite a few actual "Cook Strait Cables" between Marlborough and Haywards, do you know what the actual split between cores is?.(Voltage wise)
Down at Tech when I did my time, they had a section of one of the actual cables.
Twice the diameter of a beer can and it had a hole in the centre for the Nitrogen gas.
Hole was about 15mm diameter.
A year later a boat owner was fined after dredging one of the cores up with an anchor.

R
Mike,

It is - 350 kV and + 270 kV.

So the potential difference is 620 kV dc.

I am pretty sure that the negative value is higher than the positive value.
it has something to do with the semiconductors used, although some of the ASEA rectifiers have mercury in them too.

if i find that link i will post it on ECN.

R
I found it and my memory served me well.

here are the details and the link.

Commissioning year: 1965 (mercury arc valves)
Power rating: 600 MW
No. of poles: 2
DC voltage: ± 250 kV
Pole 2 after 1991
Commissioning year: 1991 (thyristor valves)
Power rating: Nominal 560 MW,
Continuous overload: 700 MW
DC voltage: -350 kV
Pole 1A+1B and 2 after 1992
Commissioning year: 1992 (hybrid sceme)
Power rating: 1240 MW
DC voltage: +270 and -350 kV
Complete transmission
Length of DC submarine cables: 42 km
Length of DC overhead line: 575 km
Main reason for choosing HVDC: Long distance, including sea crossing

http://www.abb.com/cawp/gad02181/c1256d71001e0037c125683400270fa6.aspx

Cheers
Raymond

Y
Another advantage of HVDC transmission is that it eliminates the need to synchronize two large regional grids. Here in North America we have four major regional grids: Eastern, Western, Quebec, and ERCOT (most of Texas). These regional grids sometimes interface using DC interties of only a few meters in length. For example, I am looking at my ERCOT map, and I see a 345kV DC tie from Eagle Pass, TX across the border into Mexico.

We also have two major HVDC lines on the West Coast, the Pacific Intertie and the Intermountain. For years, when I lived in Southern California, I drove by the Sylmar converter station without knowing what made it special!

HVDC also has an unlikely following among all those people who are paranoid about electromagnetic fields, although the extra expense means it will not replace AC transmission anytime soon.

Y
Sentiments I share wholeheartedly. While Edison was undoubtedly a great man in many respects, this is one aspect of his experimentation which I cannot forgive.

What makes it even more revolting is that it wasn't experimentation per se. It was propaganda.

Nor was this Edison's only fault. After he remarried, he all but disowned the children of his first wife.

K
Kenbo Offline OP
Djk

I worked for years with Scottish Power first as an apprentice then in Grid Telecoms. I knew of the link to NI but having never visited the Ballintrae site I was unaware it was HVDC. Thanks for that info

The more you look into the subject the more sense it makes for inter connecting systems as “yakta” says

der Großvater
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard