ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#146330 11/27/06 01:32 AM
K
kiwi Offline OP
Hi there. The Company I work for in Christchurch is looking for an experienced Switchboard Builder to join the team. Someone who has experience/aptitude in installing copper bar, cabling and switchgear up to 2500A.

Although the high current work is primary in the job, our guys build everything from 63A DBs to 2500A type tested motor control centres, power factor control panels, and many custom built IP rated projects. ( We built stuff for the KING KONG movie set).

You WON'T get bored !

If you or someone you know fits the bill and is interested then please email me.

Sorry to use the forum as a "Situations Vacant" but it seems like a better idea than Newspapers and Recruiting Companies. Oh yeah and theres a $200 kickback from the boss for finding someone [Linked Image]

Keir,
Exactly what do you mean by "Experienced at building switchboards"?.
I realise that there is a standard for the building of switchboards.
My time of working as an Electrical Apprentice, a certain degree of that was making switch-board panels and the like, for use in the field.
Personally I don't have a problem with you posting a thread like this in this area, there are a lot of watchers here, that could fit the bill.
However, I'd not like this place to become a mere Classifieds Forum for all and sundry to post their wants and likes as to getting employees.
Sure people are very hard to come by here in New Zealand and we can blame a lot of people for that, but in the end, where would that get us?.

K
kiwi Offline OP
G'day Trumpy. By "Experienced" I guess I meant someone already doing this work. Yes poaching ! [Linked Image]

Reason I asked is because its quite a good job. I wouldn't mind doing it myself. All our Tradesmen have been there over 5 years. We have a really low staff turnover.

We really need another Tradesman to take some off the workload of our guys. We've got enough apprentices.

Trumpy you'll appreciate that experienced switchboard builders are hard to find and that poaching should be allowed.

Kiwi,
Just kick me in the back-side for being so brash!.
No seriously, I know that workers are bloody hard to find and poaching wouldn't be that bad.
BTW, what is that Monson fella doing these days?.
All this time and I have never been able to get some pics of the work you fellas do.
It would kill some of the US Electricians here to see the quality of the build put into your boards.
Or even the UK ones.
Think export market. [Linked Image]

K
kiwi Offline OP
Trumpy, I posted on here because we're looking for an experienced tradesman. Our tradesmen are very fussy and if we hire someone thats not up to the job, then they'll just get ridiculed.

Mr Monson is still Chief Electrical Engineer at Vynco taking care of G.E. products in NZ. Vynco being the sole NZ agent for G.E.

We take detailed photos of everything we build. I'll send you some.

Keir,
Sorry I was only pulling your leg about Mark.
Vynco is one of the companies that NZ can be really proud of as far as switchboard building goes.
Which leads me to this:
Our tradesmen are very fussy and if we hire someone thats not up to the job, then they'll just get ridiculed.
In all seriousness Keir, I can really see how that could happen, it sounds like your fellas have a very high standard of workmanship.
To that end I have never seen a Vynco board that I can point a finger at and say, that is wrong (with the pan unit or enclosure).
Sure, I'd love to post some pics of these boards, I've used a fair few of them as an Electrician here in Ashburton.
The 3 phase stuff is top notch and well worth the money spent, even customers have said that.

K
kiwi Offline OP
Thanks Trumpy for the kind compliments. We do try to maintain an "Old Fashioned" approach to workmanship, where being overly fussy is a good thing.

P
We do try to maintain an "Old Fashioned" approach to workmanship, where being overly fussy is a good thing.
I don't blame you. It's better than the "don't give a darn" slipshod approach which is all too common today.

Keir,
We do try to maintain an "Old Fashioned" approach to workmanship, where being overly fussy is a good thing.
I've seen the alternatives quite a few times before.
Things I will NOT tolerate in a switchboard unit however are things like:
  • Sharp edges anywhere.
  • Over-tightened screws that have been damaged because of this.
  • Screws that should have been tightened and are only hand-tight.

Link Copied to Clipboard