ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14625 09/26/02 02:25 PM
J
JPB Offline OP
It seems to be common practice to use plastic cable ties to support MC cable. I can't find anything in the code that says yes or no.

Found in the 2002 NEC "see cable ties"

"320.30 Type AC cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (41/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting.

334.30 Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (41/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every cabinet, box, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge.

527.4(J) Support. Cable assemblies and flexible cords and cables shall be supported in place at intervals that ensure that they will be protected from physical damage. Support shall be in the form of staples, cable ties, straps, or similar type fittings installed so as not to cause damage. Vegetation shall not be used for support of overhead spans of branch circuits or feeders.

530.12(B) Stage Effects and Electrical Equipment Used as Stage Properties. The wiring for stage effects and electrical equipment used as stage properties shall be permitted to be wired with single- or multiconductor listed flexible cords or cables if the conductors are protected from physical damage and secured to the scenery by approved cable ties or by insulated staples. Splices or taps shall be permitted where such are made with listed devices and the circuit is protected at not more than 20 amperes."

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-26-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Tom Offline
330.30 says "supported and secured" and doesn't say a thing about how to do this. Therefore, it is up to your AHJ as to what is acceptable practice in your area.

I've used cable ties with MC a few times, but much prefer a strap.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
JPB,

Note that all cable ties are not created equal. Some will dry out faster and get brittle. This type may be unacceptable to the AHJ.

Bill

Bill
T
Are plastic ties listed for such use. If it is not listed to be used with MC NM etc. I beleive you can't use them, as silly as it sounds... I have been violated for using plastic ties to support NM cables. The inspector said it was in violation because it bundled the cables and needed to be derated because of the heat that would be generated. What a load of crappola. This was in a house maybe 6 cables bundled together. Big deal..

[This message has been edited by tsolanto (edited 09-26-2002).]

[This message has been edited by tsolanto (edited 09-26-2002).]

E
Bill, perhaps a valid point but how would a person know what the life of a cable tie would be?

Eman,

I'm not sure, but I have heard Inspectors near me express concern about them. I think that one difference is that some are UV rated and some are not? (I'm guessing here) but not having the right attributes for the situation or location would make them unsuitable.

I have always used metal wire (baling wire) where it was actually supporting cabling because of this. I'd only use plastic cable ties where the object was to 'neaten-up' things a bit.

I think we've had this conversation before somewhere.

Bill

Bill
J
JPB Offline OP
Thanks for the help everyone

G
To the best of my knowledge, white cable ties are not UV resistant. Black cable ties are UV resistant.

Tom Offline
Tsolanto,

Your inspector must like to make things up. There is no requirement that I know of to use "listed" or "listed for the purpose" supporting devices for NM, MC, or AC.

This actually forced me to walk out to my truck and look at 3 sizes of NM staples from 2 differant manufacturers, none of them have a listing mark on the box. I also checked 2 boxes of EMT straps, they're not listed either.

Evidently I would be in serious trouble with the inspectors in your area. [Linked Image]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard