ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
If a "Main Isolator" can presumably be inside a locked building what is wrong with a pad lock on them?

That's a thought-provoking point.

In the U.K. external neon signs have a "Fireman's Switch" (actually labeled as such) fitted on an outside wall, mounted high, with an operating dolly which can be reached with a stick to shut off the high-voltage. But there's nothing external to shut off all power -- in many cases not even an external meter or cut-out which can be pulled.

I'd go with the "Big brother is watching you and trouble-makers will be shot" approach (or something along those lines [Linked Image] ), unless the expense the contactor idea isn't going to be too high.

O
" thought that the Isolator could be padlocked on as long as the Fire Service was notified and given a key."

Don't do it, they are watching you know!

"Section 51A(??) of the Fire Service Act says that you are not allowed to render a disconnect ineffective by a lock, even if the local Brigade has a key."

Respect to our Fire Servie and Firefighters, Who cares what the fire service act says, we got our own rules.

FYI 90% of the SB's i have installed in commercial or industrial installations over the last few-some years or so are in a LOCKED cupboard, room or the like.
C

[This message has been edited by OldAppy (edited 11-15-2006).]

K
kiwi Offline OP
The ESS suggested that the switch is padlocked on and then the key is placed adjacent in a "Break Glass In Emergency Box". That seems like a good idea to me.

Also mentioned was the fact that the Fire Service also carries the best skeleton key in the business. Bolt-cutters and big tomohawks.

Rodalco, I'm not a big fan of locking a main switch on either. But in this case, what do you do ?

Architecs should ensure that Main Switchboards are inaccesible to the public.

T
Or like I suggested above, a frangible shackle padlock..

These are the padlocks used on standpipes, etc where the lock is designed to prevent easy tampering, but the shackles are designed to break easily. (ie: you hit it with the butt of an axe, hammer, valve wrench, etc.).

They can be identified by the groove around the shackle where the weak point is. Some are available where the weak point in hidden inside the lock body. http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/p...&sub_cat_id=D500BRK&template=app

K
kiwi Offline OP
Frangible: (adj.) breakable or fragile. Good word Techie, I had to look that one up. Anyone else know what "Frangible" meant ? Without having to get the Dictionary out.

K
kiwi Offline OP
Contactors & remote buttons & cameras are too expensive. The ESS said my client can get away with padlocking the Isolator on and putting the key next to it in a "Break Glass In Emergency" box.

Can anyone post a valid clause that deems this illegal ?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard