ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#146087 10/13/06 04:12 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Sorry,
I forgot to mention that before I took on the job as a Fire Safety Officer, I passed my Electrical Inspectors Exams here.
Isn't life so fast-paced these days?.
Since then I have inspected 2 houses re-wired by Electricians and both passed.
There used to be a thing here that you had to have 10 years and Advanced Trade behind you.
I had the Advanced Trade, just before they changed the wording, which is called Level 5 (Electrical Advanced) these days.
My one idea about exams here in NZ these days, is that they need a huge boot up the backside.
If you cannot score at least 80% in a exam, you are not fit for this trade.
People's lives are in your hands.
Would you like a 60% Electrician?

#146088 10/14/06 02:44 AM
R
Congratulations Mike.

I entirely agrre that the pass mark for electricians should be at least 80%.
In this day and age with all the PC nonsense, the pass rates are set too low.
Lifes are dependant upon good workmanship which includes testing all the aspects of the completed job as per the electrical regulations.
Unfortunately if that level was set the ones who fail probably still keep doing backdoor jobs and may get away with it, How on earth do you know if a COC was taken out for the job anyway.
The good electricians doing it by the book while other ones may create potential hazards which may never been picked up untill too late and someone is electrocuted.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#146089 10/14/06 06:50 AM
E
Need a 70% to pass in Canada. Better, but not enough. Alot of guys are failing too. Our test is too general, many questions are concidered "general Knowledge" where there is no code to get the answer, your just suposed to know it.

#146090 10/15/06 05:22 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
However,
LK (Les) said in the Chat rooms.
When it was found that apprentices were failing the exams, they made them easier.
What does that say to the customer?.
The industry wants more trainees these days.
We have folks that can't even use a Megger.
Bigger pass rate.
OK, Which would you sooner employ?.
Also, what does that say to us folks that passed some pretty horrendous tests to qualify as Electricians and know how to use this gear.
We should be all equal in knowledge.

#146091 10/16/06 07:16 PM
Well, I must say I'm glad we never had 80% pass rates in 'O' Levels or in Engineering, or I'd have failed the bloody lot along with all me mates!!!

80%???!!! You must have had all the answers written on your fingers in biro! [Linked Image]

I did!

Anywey, it 'istn wot u kno, i'ts Hoo!!

Wood work but can't!
#146092 10/17/06 04:10 AM
O
Would be fine to set a higher pass rate. BUT the exam i sat had a 24% pass rate, so low the clown that set it got the arse. The appys were then given their next exam at no cost.
Remember we have a massive rate of people dropping out of the trade, And this does not surprise me at all, also every appy we have had through has moved to the UK within 2 months for there OE, and why wouldn't you!
We need 60% or the like to replace the ones we loose.
Also We have clowns in wellington making it harder for us to do our job - not helping.
OA

[This message has been edited by OldAppy (edited 10-17-2006).]

#146093 10/17/06 02:21 PM
R
Welcome in the forum ! OldAppy

Now these days safety is a big issue and you expect an electrician to do a good and safe job.

It is not good practise to drop standards of workmanship and knowledge to achieve good pass rates in examns.
If you fail an examn sorry, next time put a bit more effort in it and you will pass, at least that is the way I look at it.
It is a shame that the teacher who set that 24% pass rate examn got the sack, to much PC from higher up obviously.

Wellington bureaucrats are a pain and only create more paperwork and costs to keep licenses up to date, and keep their own jobs safe.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#146094 10/17/06 05:17 PM
T
"also every appy we have had through has moved to the UK within 2 months for there OE, and why wouldn't you!"

Why? Isn't the pay any good there?

#146095 10/18/06 03:29 AM
O
"Why? Isn't the pay any good there?"
Crap as far as I'm concerned

They are just youngsters that have a trade and want to travel, heck for 3 years we have been making them do all the **** work (according to them), reality is they have it very good indeed.

#146096 10/19/06 03:03 AM
The question is How difficult are the examination questions? How relevant are the exam questions? How much on -job instruction has been given in relation to the important tasks and safety. This includes Electrical Inspection,Testing and Verify that the Electrical Installation is "Electrically Safe".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard