ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
32VAC Offline OP
From correspondents in Strasbourg
September 15, 2006 05:11am
Article from: Reuters

RESIDENTS of two villages in eastern France could make no phone calls today after 550 metres of copper cables were stolen, a day after copper thieves disrupted train traffic in the west.

Theft of the metal has become increasingly common in France as thieves try to cash in on soaring copper prices, which have more than doubled in the past year.

The thieves took more than a tonne of copper cables left lying on the ground awaiting use in repairs, operator France Telecom said, adding they had caused tens of thousands of euro's damage.

Phone services in the Oltingue and Wolschwiller villages should be restored by tomorrow, the operator said.

Yesterday criminals stole copper cables used for railway signalling, disrupting high-speed train services between the south-western city of Bordeaux and Paris.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20415922-1702,00.html

D
djk Offline
I read of some similar occurances in Western Canada too.

It's unlikely someone would try and take down a >10kV powerline though [Linked Image]

The simplest sollution to that is for the telco to absolutely go after the theif to the level that they not only press criminal but also civil charges against them for the loss of income, dirsuption, costs etc etc. It'd make people think twice about doing something so ridiculous.

In the case of the railway signalling cables, those responsible could be charged with far more serious offences as it endangers life! (potentially)

It must be very hard to explain where you got 1 tonne of outdoor telephone line though!!

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 09-18-2006).]

Without a phone, perhaps. Speechless?-
That'll be the day
!! [Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!
J
Near where I live, there are some power lines on wooden poles, I think they are 33kv. The local hoodlum regularly throw weighted rope over them and one or 2 lines breaks. I would hesitate to touch the end but ill bet that someone will try to steal cable this way.

18 months ago, we had some 500mm transformer tails stolen. At the time we werent bothered about the cable but we had made off the ends and couldnt get new ends at the weekend. (you can tell Im not an electrician - techincal terms!)

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
T
Here lately in TX they are considering making metal salvage yards require ID and pics of people trying to sell scrap copper.

32VAC Offline OP
Seems the problem also affects the plumbing industry:

Trio arrested for stealing piping

SAM RICHES
October 19, 2006 01:00pm
Article from: The Advertiser

THREE men were caught red-handed allegedly stealing copper piping from a north eastern suburbs rehabilitation centre.

Holden Hill police were called after three men were seen allegedly stripping wiring and copper piping inside the Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre, Folland Rd, Hampstead Gardens, on Wednesday morning.

Police allegedly found one of the men hiding inside a roof cavity and a vehicle containing copper piping.

Two Kilburn men, 33 and 35, and a Woodville North man, 45, were arrested for aggravated serious criminal trespass and theft.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20608784-2682,00.html

G
Hit me, but as far as I know, many g`s from Hungary moved to Strasbourg after killing a man here.

They use to steal copper and sell it. Here it is everyday thing.

Ban me if you want, but that`s the case, and many g`s here feel ashamed of others` behaviour.

Two weeks ago a teacher was beaten to death because he hit a girl with his car. The girl was easily hurt, but the mad g`s hit the teacher to death in front of the teacher`s two children.

These are facts. Google it if you like.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061016-092631-1567r

edited for tolerance, peace, love and tenderness for all the g`s I love and respect.

[This message has been edited by Gloria (edited 10-26-2006).]

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
32VAC,
Police allegedly found one of the men hiding inside a roof cavity and a vehicle containing copper piping.
You mean to say that this guy was in two places at once?. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard