ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 532 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#145934 08/10/06 02:06 PM
W
Does European code allow using a combined ground/neutral?
Yes, it is called TN-C(ombined).

#145935 08/10/06 05:24 PM
S
I'm avoiding delta/wye transformers so as not to have a phase shift issue. Delta/delta on the input, the UPS outputs a delta/wye current in sync with the delta input, then a wye/wye step-down xfmr on the output to maintain the 0 phase shift and keep the delta centered about ground.

If I did anything, it would be to tear out all the delta bus duct for the maint bypass and static bypass circuits and put in 4-wire wye from the switchboards, but that's going to really kill the budget if I have to do that. If TN-C is OK, though, (sure makes it easy, Wolfgang! I don't suppose you recall the code that authorizes it? I have a google translation of the italian codes, but it's a bit... difficult) we'll likely just grandfather in the existing installation and let IEC supercede NEC in this case- after all, it's working fine now, and we're not changing anything by swapping out the old switch with a new one. Nice to be able to do that sort of thing [Linked Image]

I don't know what specific loads are on the panel, it's never an issue if we go back 1:1. My boss was putting a rush on us to get in and out to cut travel costs, and I didn't get as full of a survey as I'd like- made a check list so this doesn't happen next time!

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 08-10-2006).]

#145936 08/10/06 05:46 PM
T
Erm... I guess you have to keep in mind one thing: there is NO such thing as a European code! Every country has its own (sometimes fairly different) codes!
So something that is perfectly legal in Germany might actually be illegal in Austria and vice versa!

Example: in Germany most people recommend to have some receptacles (like refrigerator, freezer) on a circuit without RCD (ground fault) protection. In Austria that's completely illegal - all receptacles have to be RCD protected.

Generally TN-C seems to be limited to wires 10mm2 or larger in most European countries to avoid thee dangers resultung of PEN breaks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard