ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 144 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
We still use gas, it's much cheaper than electricity.

(Tho we too have many underground hot water, we buy gas from Putin.)

The world is full of beauty if the heart is full of love
P
Also, light switches etc have to go outside or be operated by a pull cord. Basically, you had to design the bathroom in such a way that no electrical gear could be contacted while standing in the bath/shower etc.

Do the Irish regs. actually ban regular wall switches from the bathroom entirely, or just require any such devices to be placed out of reach of the tub/shower?

Many people in the U.K. (including some who should know better) are under the impression that the I.E.E. regs. state that all light switches in a bathroom must be the pullcord type. That's never been the case; the old "6 ft. rule" simply required that wall switches be placed so as to be out of reach from the bath/shower.

In Ireland, according to the ETCI safety stats, almost all electrocutions (and there aren't very many) were caused by direct contact with overhead cables or PoCo plant. Most of which occured on farms or construction sites. Accidents involving domestic appliances or wiring seem to be pretty rare.

They're pretty much the same arguments we've been seeing against Part P here. The number of electrocutions in the U.K. is down to well under 50 per year, and the majority of those are caused by contact with overhead HV lines, industrial wiring, and so on. Of the small number of domestic fatalities left, many are then faulty appliances. That leaves a tiny number which are caused by faulty wiring which is in any way covered by Part P.

You can't guard against sheer stupidity anyway. Back in the mid-1980s two young men were electrocuted in the village where I lived while trying to take down a C.B. antenna. There was 18 ft. of vertical antenna atop a 20 ft. steel mast and the idiots tried to take it down in one piece, balanced up a ladder in a tree, by lifting the whole lot above their heads.

All the current safety precautions in the book wouldn't have stopped "dumb & dumber" from getting killed.

That's one thing I haven't seen in a house in years here, the humble old pull-cord switch.
In almost every bedroom you used to see a pull-cord switch on the inside of the door or over where they thought the bed should be (on a 2-way with the door switch).
You can still get them here, but I don't think anyone installs them anymore.

P
A good many older houses here had a pullcord over (roughly) where the bed would normally go as well, often on a 2-way circuit with the wall switch at the door.

As well as pull-cords there were also 1- and 2-way switches designed to be installed on the end of a drop cord (not for bathroom use, naturally). Various styles were made, including rocker switches and a "pushbar" switch, similar to the type of switch found on lampholders.

D
djk Offline OP
pull cords here seemed to die out in the 1970s sometime, other than for electric showers.

Generally, the switches are just located outside the bathroom door.

Also, our new regs now require the switches for the immersion to be located flush on the wall outside it.

G
Yeah, don't put foil in your toaster...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard