ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#145659 06/21/06 03:44 PM
H
Hutch Offline OP
Many years ago (in December 2002 to be precise) Hutch motivated for a new international plug based upon an ANZAC standard but this time the right way up [Linked Image] .

I am glad to see that government agencies are taking note of the content of ECN when implementing their new standards. Bill please note. Students of electrical history may wish to review the first developments of this international protocol here .

Mongolia , long time satellite state of the Soviet Union and rejoicing in its new found identity is slowly shaking off the trappings of Mother Russia . The alphabet is still Cyrillic but English is creeping in and they have adopted the ECN#1 Standard socket protocol. On a recent visit – during which I comprehensively tested these new standards – by plugging and unplugging some of their equipment [Linked Image] – I obtained the following pictures exclusive to ECN – remember you saw it first here folks!

Country No.1 of ECN#1:-
[Linked Image]

Larger image is available here

Unfortunately, pressure from the Chinese has allowed their ungrounded NEMA 1-15 plugged appliances to receive the full 230V. ECN Standards officers have noted the derogation of ECN#1.

For the record the original is illustrated below:-

[Linked Image]

Whilst lacking the sleeved phase pins of the full ECN#1 Standard their plugs are nonetheless of a sensible proportion. Please note the 90º exit angle of the cable in accordance with ECN#1.

[Linked Image]
Larger image is available here .

{ All images now moved to ECN server }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-24-2006).]

H
Hutch Offline OP
Unfortunately the derogation on ECN#1 has led to abuse - as was anticipated when this exacting standard was proposed. In the same establishment as the other pictures were obtained a BS546 5A (?) plug with out-the-back cable had had its earthing (grounding) protection recklessly bypassed in order to fit the composite Chinese two pin sockets.

[Linked Image]

There are parts of Mongolia where these cutting-edge standards have not yet been implemented for instance in the provincial town of Arvayheer (pron. arrow-head!; location here ). Solar panels charge a 12V battery in this traditional Mongolian gyrr – a strong wooden-framed tent developed in the days of Ghengis Khan and able to withstand the devastating winds of the Gobi desert. I will say that their shaking during strong winds is robust!

[Linked Image]
Larger image is available here

This Mongolian equivalent of the Watford Gap Services (US=Turnpike Diner) doubles as a home after hours. Simple but nutritious lunches are freshly prepared while you wait. Today it was chunks of mutton (OK), augmented by lumps of solid fat ( [Linked Image] ) tossed with rare vegetables (there’s not a lot of these in Mongolia) and mixed with pasta (Marco Polo took this recipe back to Italy where it became all the rage). All is cooked with great heat over the stove (center) by burning sun-dried horse droppings. In my innocence, I thought they were charcoal brickettes until I asked!

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 06-21-2006).]

{ Images moved to ECN }

R
That is the Australian and New Zealand plug upside down !!

or not ?

We live in the "Down Under" perhaps it is down side up here ? [Linked Image]

Perhaps Mike (Trumpy) can explain.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
S
That's your standard PRC combination type socket plate.

Fits American, Euro and Aussie plugs. All are standard in China.

What's amazing is the whole thing manages to fit in a British sized box and you can use both sockets at the same time! [Linked Image]

A
[Linked Image]

That looks like an Australian made HPM double GPO used for mounting on skirting boards or ducting close to the floor. The upside down configuration allows plugpacks and side entry plugs to fit.
The other alternative I've seen is to simply install a standard GPO upside down but I'm not sure that conforms to regulations given the switch operation is also reversed.

{ Edited image link }

Hutch,

Do we have any Patents pending??

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Ray,
We live in the "Down Under" perhaps it is down side up here?
I've spent all these years, trying to convince Paul that we are up the right way and you go and blow that out of the water!!.
Shame on you!.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-23-2006).]

K
Excuse my ignorance but I have to ask. In this pic Here are both outlet delivering the same voltage? or diferent voltages.

In the uk the top outlet would be for a shaver only

der Großvater
S
Both sockets deliver the same voltage; whatever the plate happens to be connected to.

If it's connected to a 110 volt circuit, it will deliver 110 volts. If it's a 220 volt circuit, then it will deliver 220 volts.

H
Hutch Offline OP
Hi Kenbo, yes Sven is right. The abused plug had its earth pin removed so it would fit those 'shaver' contacts in addition to the other plug in the "ECN#1". One was the TV the other the video.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard