ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14557 09/24/02 02:19 PM
One of those "A buddy give me this panel, can you make it work and save me some money?"

Hoo boy... [Linked Image]

The bus looks clean, the cover will need replaced or he'll have a fortune in blanks, he'll have a fortune in KO plugs anyway...

But... The Main CB Lugs are stripped... that is the Allen Hex part of the screw... No way to get 250 in-lbs on 'em like that...

Are there replacement lugs available? (I would think that they'd be readily available since we're only suppose to torque them once!) Looking in the Grainger catalogue and at the SQ D site was no help...

Any ideas?

A new Main CB would be as expensive as replacing the whole shebang... Which would be to my liking anyway...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Pardon my frankness but is this for real? I would either walk away or insist on a new panel and then walk away. Either way I'm walkin! This probably doesn't help you though!

I agree in sentiment, and I'd like to show him in writing how much his old panel may cost him and with no warranty to boot...

So far:

$36 for a new cover...

$12 to $15 in KO plugs...

I'm thinkin' about $8 to $12 for the new lugs if I can get 'em...

So a used panel for about $60?

Hmmm....

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Where do you get a cover? What about your time and aggravation fee? The lugs and cover will not magically appear in your truck. You already spent time here doing "research". I think you know waht I'm getting at.

66:
If you're serious, let me know & I probably have a few QO 222's in our shop.
The lug allens can go "snail mail".
I can send them COD. We have a "large" Sq D distributor up here, and he laughed when I asked him.

If the lugs are stripped at the allens, what kind of shape is the rest of the lugs in????
Or was it "the wrong tool, for the right job??
Let me know.
John

John
John,

(Got your other mail BTW, forgot to mention it... Thanks!)

Yeah, I need the entire lug, not just the allen "bolt" (screw?), the whole thing is probably over-torqued... Does look as though they may have used an undersized wrench...

Electricmanscott,
Sq D has always sold their covers seperately, as far as I know (around here anyway)... But my supplier is no longer a SQ D distributor... But yes, it's already been a big pain, but it'll be spent convincing him to buy new as well...

I've found the 1D444 Main Lug kit in the Grainger book, but I don't think it's what I want.

What I want is a new Load Center... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-24-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
R
Know when to say no.
The day after, you might be glad you did.

J
JBD Offline
The lugs on a Square D loadcenter main breaker are not replaceable. You can get new allen screws but not the lugs themselves. Usually it is less expensive to buy a new main breaker panel (volume pricing) than a replacement main breaker only (repair part pricing).

So, let me get this straight...

There aren't any replacement lugs.

We're only suppose to torque lugs once, then replace them if we need to torque again.

So, let's say the inspector fails you on something that requires retorquing the lugs... Maybe you had to move the panel, or replace the conductors...doesn't matter. Are you going to buy a new panel or a new main to do it, or just retorque the old lugs?

Anyone see the problem here, or is it just me?

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
You are going to make one tough inspector [Linked Image]
Come visit Texas anytime,but no inspections please!Sean,can I get a second to that?

Donnie
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard