ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#145584 06/14/06 09:31 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Well,
Monday morning came as a shock here waking up to nearly a foot and a half of snow on the ground. [Linked Image]
The local electricity system took a real hiding with power being lost to all of Ashburton for most of the day.
Some parts of Mid-Canterbury are still without power and some parts of South Canterbury have no water, power or phones.
I didn't like reading on the Net this morning that more snow is heading this way, this weekend.
I just hope it rains instead. [Linked Image]
Kiwi,
How much snow did you guys in Christchurch get?.
You can't get a word in edgeways on the local Power Board operations radio channel at the moment, there's line clearances and isolation messages flying backwards and forwards like there's no tomorrow!.

W
I have been talking to a Ham in Australia while driving around doing service. He gripes about the bitter cold, while I have the AC in the truck running full blast in our 97 degree (36c) heat. Also have talked with a chap in New Zeland as well, he also says its cold. Send some our way! Robert

Trumpy Offline OP
Some pics of the snow from around my place:

This was taken while the snow was still falling on Monday at about 12:30pm, it looks back onto my place from the driveway, my VHF aerial will need some straightening out, but still gives a good picture:
[Linked Image]

Next up we have a view of two roofs over, the UHF aerial on the Fire Station, is broken, this before the snow was a Horizontally-Polarised Aerial, pointing further east-ward, the Reflector on the VHF aerial also needs some attention, not that it really matters around here:

[Linked Image]

Finally,
A look out my driveway, sort of a reverse shot of the first pic, isn't snow fun to shift with a shovel?!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] :

[Linked Image]

K
G'day Trumpy. The snow wasn't that bad in Ch Ch on Monday. It didnt settle on the roads. The power however was the worst I've ever seen it. There were brown outs and glitches galore for most of the morning. I even unplugged my electronic appliances before I went to work. ( installing surge protection at home has always been something "I must get around to")

I would like to read a report on all the damage control measures and switchings etc. the transmission & supply industries carried out on "Gloomy Monday" morning.

Did Ashburton have power cuts ? I understand Timaru did.

It would seems that our Government and Transpower are both getting together and backing each other up in denying the blame for the Auckland power cuts. Good strategy.

More snow on the way apparently Trumpy! The weather maps are definitely looking like it.

P
Dare I mention that it hit 80 degrees here in the east of England a couple of days ago? [Linked Image]

S
Sun's been shining here too.... [Linked Image]

We should all send bags of halite to Trumpy.

K
Pauluk. 80 degrees is still quite cold. You can't really boast that 80 is a hot day ! Nobodys getting sunburnt there !

SvenNYC. What is Halite ?

S
Kiwi:

Halite is rock-salt. Sodium Chloride.

Though I guess calcium-chloride is better at melting snow.... That's actually the stuff I was reaching for. [Linked Image]

G
Hi Trumpy

Reminds me of my childhood in Pennsylvania. We had a metal barrel in the backyard where we would burn trash, and on snowbound days, I would shovel a path from the back porch to the burner.

If I didn't know my geography as well as I do, I would imagine NZ being a tropical paradise like all Pacific Islands. [Linked Image]

I live in California now, 37 N and snow does not really show up here in the winter west of the Sierra Nevada.

89.6 F/32 C outside.

A quick perusal of my globe would put you as far from the equator as Portland, Oregon or Portland, Maine.

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 06-16-2006).]

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 06-16-2006).]

R
Nice pics Mike,

Most power restored now down South.

GeneSF
I live in California now, 37 N and snow does not really show up here in the winter west of the Sierra Nevada.

Auckland is in the North Island and also on 37°, but South, 174.8 E, no snow, perhaps one night frost like -1 °C (29F). ( RODALCO, my hometown )
Christchurch is 43.6°Sth, 172.7° E.(Kiwi's hometown).
Ashburton is 43.9°Sth, 171.8° E. (Trumpy's hometown).

I had to look on the New Zealand map for the coordinates [Linked Image]

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard