ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 393 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JBD Offline
You can loosen and then retorque the allen screws all you want. If you strip or damage the screw you can replace it.

If you deform, strip, or otherwise damage the lug body, you must replace the entire breaker. Replacement lugs are not and have never been available for Square D QO, Q1, Q2, Q4, QOM1, and QOM2 frame breakers

I could probably get away with replacing just the allen screws.

The local SQ D distributor is the hometown version of Home Depot... except the prices aren't low and the "experts" know even less...

I may have to go down there and see what they've got...

Otherwise I may put in an order for the ones John has!

Or maybe I'll win the argument and he'll get a new panel.

Electricmanscott, you have got the foresight (or previous experience one) and I should've walked away. I will next time, I swear!

What a pain!

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
E
Perhaps I am in a different situation or have a different attitude than some. I have more work than I can handle which allows me to choose what and when I want to do. If sommething looks like a pain in the rear I will walk away. I don't have the time or the desire to deal with the headaches. Been there done that!

S
Is there something that says you can only torque lugs once? That should be the reason for a torque spec, so the fitting/lug is not loose nor over tightened to the point of damaging it.

Steve
C
sparky66wv - Do you have all of the branch circuit breakers needed for this panel? If not the cost of the QO breakers will probably cost you more than the cost of a new GE loadcenter and circuit breakers. I think I remember you saying that you were a GE man. If the circuit breakers need to be QO then this won't work. I think you would be better off eating the cost of a new panel yourself if you figure out all of the time its going to take you to get this old panel to work. I try to never use "used" electrical equipment because it always comes back and haunts me later. I have worked on major remodel projects that require moving electrical panels that were recently installed and I always tell the owners that it will cost them more for me to reuse an old panel then to install a new one.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 09-25-2002).]

Curt Swartz
It comes complete with about 36 QO120's and a 100A 2 pole CB... 200A Main CB of course...

About one third are painted fluorescent green, another third painted fluorescent orange.

Someone said something about replacing connectors in the Torque Specs thread, I thought...

Maybe...

... Yeah, Don said:

I was taught never to retorque a connection. If the connection is showing early signs of trouble, the wire should be removed from the connector, cut off, stripped and installed in a new connector with the correct amount of torque.

(bold emphasis mine)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-25-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
B
Long shot, but is there any chance that the main breaker would take an Anderson/SqD “Versa-Crimp” {hydraulic-compressed} lug kit? It's been a while but one supply house would loan out the VC7{?} crimper for small jobs.

C
Have you checked to see how much a used circuit breaker would cost? I don't know if you have any supply houses that specialize in circuit breakers but I have several near me and they will sometimes make pretty good deals on used breakers. They might even have the lugs you need in stock. Try giving Circuit 99 a call(800-659-9462). Imagine a Home Depot with nothing but circuit breakers on every isle......that is what their warehouse looks like. I can also provide you with some other numbers if needed.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 09-26-2002).]

Curt Swartz
S
-You are going to make one tough inspector
Come visit Texas anytime,but no inspections please!Sean,can I get a second to that?-

I second that [Linked Image]

I did not get as think so badly as you shocked I did.
E
Did somebody say "eat the cost of the panel yourself"? WHAT!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard