ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 517 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
I however have certain mis-givings about a device that plugs into the wall (IEC connector), yet can back-feed the grid without some sort of interlock.
Imagine a street full of these?, it sounds like a Line-Mechanic's nightmare.
No, that's certainly not a good idea.
Anything feeding into the grid has to have a grid impedance check integradted and automatically disconnect when the grid goes down.

C
In some jurisdictions where grid intertie inverters are permitted, they are to be hardwired in and have a disconnet that PoCo workers have access to.

T
For my area I know the code for photovoltaic systems. There has to be an accessible DC main switch (accessible just means there has to be a way to get to it, in one case it was via a retractable attic ladder and the PoCo didn't have any problems with it) an auto disconnect and a disconnect means in the main panel (e.g. a circuit breaker). Everything is hardwired.

K
Trumpy the Super 14 final was played in a ridiculously dense fog. If there was an Australian team in there they would have got lost as they aren't used to playing in low visibility.

Sounds like the switchgear costs required for applications like "Whisper-Gen" to backfeed the grid would make it unfeasible.

Classicsat, how does a Grid-tie inverter work. Is it intrinsically safe for linemen in a power outage ?

T
Sounds like the switchgear costs required for applications like "Whisper-Gen" to backfeed the grid would make it unfeasible.
I don't think so - all you need is the impedance check circuitry and a contactor rated for the generator load.
Inverters for photovoltaic systems with all devices needed for backfeeding start at 1500 Euros, and most of it is the inverter itself. So... the technology exists and it's approved by the Officials, at least in Austria and Germany.

If we really get the home generator I'll give you a detailed report of course.
And we aren't talking small stuff here - we say 40 or 60kW, not 1200W!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard