ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145385 05/05/06 06:20 AM
K
kiwi Offline OP
The Energy Safety Service in NZ has published a "Draft For Public Comment" on changes to AS/NZS 3000. Part of the "Energy Safety Review Bill" Has anyne else read this ? Would anyone else agree with me saying that it is too full of legal-speak and its intentions are not clear ?

The closing date for public comment is 30 jun 06. Is it asking too much to ask the ESS to clarify the changes they want to make ?

If you are like me and want the ESS to clarify before we go changing laws then please submit something before Jun 30. I don't think its asking too much for the ESS to publish the reasons for the changes to AS/NZS 3000 before asking us for comment.

R
To be honest I start having a g#$ full of these changes for the sake of changing rules and regs.
It was already bad enough with the ECP's then AS/NZS 1997 then 2000 and so on.
It's time that a practising licence fee drops from NZ$92 for one year to something like that for 5 years like in Australia.

We seem to pay a lot for inefficient bureaucracies who want to keep themselves employed in being a nuisance. [Linked Image]

ciaw Ray

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
B
Can you provide a link to what you are talking about?
A draft for public comment on changes to AS/NZS 3000 is put out by the Standards Association. I think you're getting this confused with changes to local legislation.

B
It was already bad enough with the ECP's then AS/NZS 1997 then 2000 and so on

Get used to it! Wiring rules will always be updated every few years to stay relevant with the latest materials and ideas. If somebody feels keeping up-to-date with the rules and regulations is too much to ask then they shouldn't be working in the electrical industry.

K
kiwi Offline OP
Briselec, I was given a CD of the Draft by the ESS. Its available at http://www.standards.org.au/

This draft is not a routine ammendment to AS/NZS 3000 nor a simple change to local legislation. I too am keen to see the Wiring Rules ammended and adapted to keep up with technology and modern practises, but this draft seeks changes that need more than 60 days notice and imho the intentions need to be clarified.

I am also worried by the Australian influence of this draft.

Rodalco if you are already hacked off with the beaurocracy ( as we all are ) then make sure there are no breakable objects in the room when you read this draft.

B
This is the link to the drafts - Link is here

Actually you had 90 days notice because they were available from the start of April as reported in this forum -
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000952.html

As for intentions, that's simple - to make electrical installations safer.

No doubt there is an Australian influence considering most of the proposed changes were written by a Victorian inspector, but the process is done by a committee so I imagine someone representing NZ is a member.

I would love to see some discussions about the proposed changes as I've been surprised by the lack of any talk about it so far.
Is there anything in particular you don't like or don't see a need for?

{Message edited to lessen size of link and hence width of page.}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-06-2006).]

Kiwi,
I am also worried by the Australian influence of this draft.
The Australian influence has been there since the orginal document of AS/NZS 3000 was written.
And do you know what caused that?.
Standards New Zealand, due to lack of funding had thier hands tied.
I'm not blaming the Australian Standards part of the deal at all, if the NZ part had got off thier backsides and bothered to seek funding, we would have had a better result.
It's all very well to have a beuracracy (sp??)(I hate that word), but when they sit back and do nothing and let the other half of the equation do the work for them, that is where it has gone wrong.
Us in NZ have suffered as a result of this incompetence.

B
That's interesting, Standards New Zealand is a crown entity ( I assume that means they are public servants) whereas Standards Australia is a non-government body.
I imagine that causes a few problems by itself.

Link Copied to Clipboard