ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#145274 03/28/06 04:20 PM
A
Thought I ought to stick my head in here and properly introduce myself, some of you might have seen me on the violations forum already.

Anyway I'm from the UK, Lincoln to be precise, 19 years old, the plan was to get an electricial apprenticeship after finishing my A-levels, unfortunatly they seem to be rather scarce, so I have been looking at doing some courses at college (2330, then follow it with the 2381 and 2391 for people who know the city and guilds courses) sheffield college do 2330 as a full time (4 days a week) course, and hopefully I can get some practical out in the field experience by offering to work free on the 5th day of the week and possibly at weekends.

Hobbies include quite a few computer related things, electronics, trying to get into digital photography a bit atm, listening to music (a strange mix of rock and modern country with a bit of pop thrown in, oh and cheesy disco stuff :P), complaining about the goverment (part p, the kneejerk after dunblane, hunting, etc...ad nausem), contributing to online forums, oh and going to bars and drinking too many spirits! Think that just about covers everything!

#145275 03/29/06 07:25 AM
P
Welcome aboard Adam.

Another electronics fan, eh? Is Birkett's still up at the top of The Strait? I haven't been there for about 12 years, but when I lived on the Lincolnshire coast I always had to head straight there if I was going into Lincoln for anything. [Linked Image]

complaining about the goverment
Your comments have already been duly noted and passed on to the "Thought Police." [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-29-2006).]

#145276 03/29/06 12:38 PM
A
is Birkett's still up at the top of The Strait?

it is indeed, though Matt and Iain arn't there anymore IIRC, I haven't actually been there much since they left, tend to get a lot of stuff from rapid these days (microcontroller related stuff, etc)

( http://www.zyra.org.uk/birkett.htm for anyone who doesn't know what we are on about)

It always amazes me how well known that shop is, I was part of an amateur radio club (MX0PSL IIRC... if they are still going) when I was at school doing my A-levels, almost without fail as soon as we mentioned we were lincoln based, birketts came up in conversation! Still have a foundation radio license of my own, don't actually use it anymore, only keep renewing it on a 'just in case' basis while it is free until I'm 21, lol

#145277 03/29/06 08:36 PM
Gidday there Adam,
Welcome to the group, always good to see some new folks here. [Linked Image]

Paul,
Your comments have already been duly noted and passed on to the "Thought Police."
Ahh yes,
I thought a reply like that would eventuate. [Linked Image]
I think most of us in here are actually known to them.
Be careful. [Linked Image]

#145278 03/30/06 07:31 AM
R
Welcome aboard too from me,
Raymond ( RODALCO ).

Good to see that there are more electronic hobbyists around, preferable with the discreet components interests instead of the new chip and smd technology.

Kind regards from New Zealand

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#145279 03/31/06 06:44 AM
P
It always amazes me how well known that shop is

I think it's probably because it's been around for so many years that it's a name that's instantly recognized in Britain. Pick up almost any issue of Practical Wireless, Radio Constructor etc. from 30+ years ago, and you'll find a Birkett ad in there! (Kind of like no issue would have been complete without an article from the late F.G. Rayer, G3OGR.)

#145280 03/31/06 02:58 PM
U
G'day Boyo..och aye the noo!

All I Wanted Was A Cup Of Tea!!

Link Copied to Clipboard