ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
RODALCO Offline OP
As listening to the morning news on the radio, there are signs of a looming powercrisis for this coming winter in NZ.

The hydro lakes are at 72% of normal water level, The aluminium melter in the Bluff is already reducing demand to allowe for more water storage.

The interesting part is what excuses our politicians will come up with this time, e.g. mandatory power savings, increased tariffs, TV advice commercials, etc.

I will keep this thread updated as matters progress and no doubt Trumpy will add his part to it as well.

Lets see what happens for our winter in 2006

Electricity is great!! Raymond [Linked Image]

As long it's there when we turn the switch on. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
P
Do you have a sales tax (GST?) on electricity there? If so, you can bet that at least some will be suggesting that it be raised....... [Linked Image]

K
Rodalco, its raining hard as I write, but we all know now that its never going to be enough to avert the "Power Shortages". Our government has allowed a private company to sell more power to the Bluff smelter and then ration power to the rest of the country at increased prices.

This is no surprise given that the smelter is closest to the dam and its more profitable to sell power to it, than say, Auckland.

PM Rob Muldoons "Think Big" projects were never intended to be privatised. Now we are realising the downside of privatisation.

This winter WILL be interesting.

Paul,
Do you have a sales tax (GST?) on electricity there? If so, you can bet that at least some will be suggesting that it be raised.......
We have GST on everything here and have had since 1986 (when it was 10%, it was increased to 12.5% in 1989, with the promise of lower income tax).
Look, what the real issue is here, is the fact that with the introduction of the Resource Management Act in 1991, anybody can object to having infrastructure of any kind near where they are living.
This Act and the blinkered attitude of some landowners, (with a certain amount of NIMBY attitude thrown in) has pretty much hamstrung any attempts to build new generating capacity or even upgrade what we already have!.
Dr David Bellamy was on the TV here the other night, jumping up and down about how bad wind farms and HV lines are.
I defy anyone to tell me what a Botanist knows about power generation at any sort of level?.

Kiwi,
Here's a headless chicken idea!.
Looks like you guys in Christchurch might be getting a new power station, from Napier!. [Linked Image]
Here's the story from Stuff.co.nz

So we can alleviate the cruel nasty power charges by basing a Generator (who knows what it runs on) in the South Island.
How do you upload that to the 500kVDC link North?.
I agree with Kiwi's past statements.
{Cut the bloody Inter-Island cable}.
We have enough energy here in the South Island.
All you North Island idiots can argue amongst yourselves.
Don't you folks forget, if it hadn't been for Maui catching that fish, there wouldn't be a North Island.{Maori Legend}
I personally would have thrown it back into the water!.

K
"Headless Chicken" describes the Whirinaki relocation idea perfectly Trumpy. I'm not sure but isn't it a coal-fired generator ?

A great big filthy belching smokestack is just what Ch Ch DOESN'T need right now. ( bit of a NIMBY there ).

A large project like that is a great boost to the local economy for sure, but can't we come up with something a little more practical.

Man I'm beginning to sound like a Greeny!

Rant: Privatisation has turned our national grid into a stockmarket in which modern-day pirates are free to extort and plunder. End of Rant.

Commercial law prevents tax-payers from obtaining full transparency from our privatised power providers and therefore the culture of bludgers prevails in the generation / transmission sectors. O.K. end of rant there.

R
RODALCO Offline OP
We need more generating capacity north, There are plans to built something near Helensville, North of Auckland.
The objectionists are allready putting signs up etc.

Auckland need another 1000 MW station North and as far as I'm concerned it can be nuclear (sorry to upset some) but thats the only way to go with depleting energy supplies.

I have no objections that it is near my place as long power remains affordable.

Cheers

Ray [Linked Image]

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
P
The problem I have with so many of those who don't want wind farms and such like is that they'd be the first to complain when the power goes out in winter, and when asked if they're prepared to cut back on their ever-growing electrical demand they look horrified.

Do they think we can just create energy by snapping our fingers?

U
Paul uk:- I agree with you entirely. I met Dr David Bellamy and he was objecting to wind farms etc. But he wouldn't answer when I asked if he had thought about reducing his power consumption. It is an ongoing problem world wide, seems like everything you buy these days has a plug attached (i.e. power consumer).
Dave

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard