ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 525 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
Rodalco, what is a half day brown power dip ? And how does a manual crank-handle tap-changer work ?

K
Sounds like the manual crank-handle tap change should be performed standing on a rubber mat wearing HV gloves, asbestos suit and a flash helmet !

R
RODALCO Offline OP
kiwi

Rodalco, what is a half day brown power dip ? And how does a manual crank-handle tap-changer work ?

Transpower is doing maintenance on the 220 kV lines hence they feeding some grid exit point substation via the 110 kV lines.

Because of higher currents drawn at 110 kV there is obvious voltage drop on the 33 kV bus, so the tapchangers in the local 33/11 kV subs have to tap up from the default tap 5 (33000V) to tap 8 (32250V), this normally occurs during peak periods too for about 1 to 2 hours or so.

The tapchangers are controlled via the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) which senses the 11 kV lines via the 11kV/110 Volts substation VT, in the above two cases we had mechanical problems with the centrifugal switches hence the motors didn't want to start.
On most tapchangers there is a square shaft provided which can be operated manually with a "crankhandle" to step the tapchanger up or down.
It is good practise to use HV gloves class 1, or better, and a rubber mat although this output shaft is at earth potential.

A tapchanger is designed that the drive motor has brought a quite heavy flywheel up to speed prior to commencing a tapchange.
A centrifugal switch then releases a latch so that the tap change can commence.
It is important that the tapchanger NEVER gets stuck between two taps because the temporary shunt resistor will then burn out.
This is a safety measure so that in case power fails during a tapchange operation, enough kinetic energy is in the flywheel to allowe for a complete tapchange.

This resistor provides resistance in series with one of the windings during parallelling the two windings during a tapchange.

Hope that explains it in a nutshel

Regards Raymond RF.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
Ray,
On most tapchangers there is a square shaft provided which can be operated manually with a "crankhandle" to step the tapchanger up or down.
It is good practise to use HV gloves class 1, or better, and a rubber mat although this output shaft is at earth potential.
Yes there is, the manual override and I would never operate one without a hot-stick and a socket attachment and insulated gloves and outers, if above 11kV I'd also use Sleeves too.
Not long after I came out of my time as a Line Mechanic, I had a tap-changer explode due to the internals siezing.
Just as a note about Transpower, all of thier work these days is contracted out, I remember having a stand up argument with some (expletive) from there after they managed to knock out half of Ashburton one night, working on one of the main Grid intakes, they never alerted the Elect Ash Control room as to the fact of what they were doing.
It used to be GEC Alstom that did the work, but I'm not sure where Transpower found these idiots!.
Unreal [Linked Image]

R
RODALCO Offline OP
We discussing a substation transformer here 33/11 kV.
which has a TCOL system and regulates the voltage on the 11kV feeders.
These are designed to manually and safely change a tap from outside.
The tapchanger handle is at ground level on the mechanical box, well away from any 33 or 11 kV.
I will take a photo of it

Cheers Ray

A local supply TF 11kV / 400V requires to be de energised prior to tapping the voltage up or down anyway, otherwise a flashover could occur within the tapswitch of the actual TF.

BTW Ray,
This thread is getting a tad long in the way of posts.
Would you like to throw a new similarly titled thread up in the Topic list of this area to keep it going?.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

Ray,
Some of our gear down here is a bit different in design as far as position of Tap-Changers and various other gear.
All the Tap Changers I've ever worked with have been de-energised before working with them.
I would tend to think that what caused the explosion, was an induced voltage problem.
Up until a couple of years back a lot of gear out in the sticks here was so old that it had never been replaced since electricity was first reticulated to these places.
This is probably one GOOD aspect of the Dairy industry here, we got new lines, fusing, and all sorts of other stuff of a decent quality we never had before.
I remember trying to pull out a welded DDO fuse one night on one of these older poles and the cross-arm holding the DDO's snapped off at the pole (where the bolt goes thru the pole and the cross-arm)
That really annoyed me.
I'm glad things are getting better though.

R
RODALCO Offline OP
Well, yesterday it happened 700,000 customers in the greater Auckland area lost power due to a broken off earth wire which brought the city to a standstill.

I attach a piece from the NZ Herald instead of the link. I don't find links always work after a period of time.

Auckland's power hangs by a thread

Tuesday June 13, 2006
By Mathew Dearnaley and Martin Johnston source: New Zealand Herald

National electricity grid operator Transpower was under fire from political, business and civic leaders last night over the huge power cut that brought chaos to Auckland yesterday.

The cause was a small earth wire which a wind gust snapped off a high-voltage pylon near the Otahuhu B substation, short-circuiting lines supplying electricity for 700,000 or more people throughout central, east and southwest Auckland.

Prime Minister Helen Clark was among those who questioned the city's reliance on a single gateway substation between Otara and Otahuhu, saying the Government would seek answers from Transpower.

Four loud bangs heard by road builders several hundred metres away at 8.32am signalled a day of disruption not only to the main 220,000-volt power feed to Auckland's central business district, but also to three of line company Vector's local substations.

The earth wire, designed to protect pylons from lightning strikes, flicked off the main link and on to 110,000-volt switching equipment at Transpower's Auckland gateway substation.

That cut all the substation's output, and also threw the Otahuhu B and Southdown generating stations off the national grid.

A second 220,000-volt line running power to Waitakere, North Shore and Northland was undamaged, letting Transpower feed some load back to central Auckland by late morning, although it took until after 4pm to restore supplies to the rest of the region.

Vector, which receives bulk supply from Transpower, had to take care to restore electricity gradually for safety reasons after separate lines feeding 55,000 customers fell in storm conditions.

'Traffic lunacy' after 300 traffic lights disabled

Commuters faced what the police called "traffic lunacy" after 300 sets of intersection lights were knocked out of action, thousands of workers were left with little to do in darkened offices and factories, shops were shut and university exams cancelled.

Some schools also closed and sent children back early to darkened homes.

Despite some minor collisions and near-hits, the police were thankful nobody was seriously injured in Auckland, although a Chinese sailor was swept off an oil tanker in heavy swells off Wellington as big seas and gales swept up from a snow-blanketed South Island.

Winds also gusted to 80km/h at Auckland Airport and to 130km/h in the outer Hauraki Gulf as contractors scaled the stricken 40m power pylon to secure the two ends of the snapped earth wire.

About 2000 households and businesses also lost power at various times in the Waikato, but lines company WEL Networks said that was from storm damage unrelated to the Transpower disruption.

Auckland City and Middlemore Hospitals had to switch to emergency generators, and sewage pumping stations began overflowing into Waitemata Harbour by mid-afternoon.

That brought an appeal from Auckland City Council for householders not to wash clothes or dishes, and to flush toilets only when absolutely necessary.

Before power was restored to most areas from about 12.30pm, dozens of motorists milled around some service stations with empty petrol tanks, unable to refill their vehicles from electrically operated pumps.

Regards Raymond.
I did a 18 hour shift sorting out local outages like feeder faults and lines down.

K
Why couldn't Helen Clark appear on national T.V. and say that "Gloomy Monday" was caused by a possum ? !

After her statement that she is "Completely Satisfied That Border Control Is Working Properly", after a 9/11 Al Qaeda Cronie is turned over to police by the owner of the FLIGHT SCHOOL he has been attending for a month or so ! ! Helen could pretty much tell us bare-faced lies about anything.

I wasn't here for the Auckland CBD blackouts a few years back. Was "Gloomy Monday" worse than those ?

P
Then what never gets mentioned is the distance from the conductors to the ground.

Your in house 230 volts ccts are a lot closer than any 220 or 380 kV line anyway.

I remember one TV show on the subject a few years ago in which the team was going around the measuring field strengths in one house very near or under HV lines.

Some of the protesters were almost jumping with glee at having "proven" the evil of the HV lines when the meter shot off the scale around the head of one of the kid's beds.

The high reading in that one spot turned out to be caused by the normal 240V PoCo meter, which was located on the opposite side of the wall.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard