ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rmiell Offline OP
I received this email. Any help, links, thoughts??

thanks

Rick Miell

"I am moving from australia to ohio and since it is a different
voltage(australia is 240)I was wondering if you would know if we would be able to bring any electrical appliances with us? I know we could use a electrical generator but is there another way, like some kind of adaptor
we could use?"

R
Well, you could use a transformer to step up regular 120V power from any outlet in the house provided its for "small appliances" BUT the Frequency could be a problem especially with Motorized items.. You ALSO could have new 240V circuits added for your appliances as 240V is a common voltage in residences, used for the larger items sych as stoves, dryers, A/C units and the like...

A.D

R
As what rewired says, the voltage isn't the problem, you can use a step up transformer, or use the 240 volts option which is sometimes available.

The frequency will affect clocks, motorized appliances which will run faster, although certain tapedecks have a 50/60 Hz option.
Best is to refer to the nameplate of the appliance.

Switchmode powersupplies from computers etc. will cover a wide range, usually from around 70 to 270 volts ac.

Bear in mind that the TV system in the U.S.A. is NTSC so a PAL TV won't receive the TV stations, unless it's a multizone TV.

Same for the VCR.

Good luck
Ray

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
W
Usually modern kitchen equipment like washing machines and dishwashers are not compatible to 60 Hz frequency. You better sell it and buy new equipmemt. The shaded pole motors for fans or pumps in such equipment are very sensitive to wrong frequency. Voltage is no problem, as long you are able to plug it into 240V outlets.

A
The shaded pole motors for fans or pumps in such equipment are very sensitive to wrong frequency.
I have yet to see any examples of that; the motor will merely run slightly faster which is not signifigant except for mechanical clocks, timeswitches and some turntables & tape decks. Most electronic clocks can be modified for 60Hz operation. If you look up the data for the IC used, there's usually a pin that gets tied high or low to select 50 or 60Hz operation. Clocks that are crystal controlled are not affected.
I've seen 220V 60Hz fridge compressors here that have worked for years without ill effects. If anything, going up to 60Hz for a 50Hz motor would probably stress it less than going the other way. Brush motors of course, don't care about frequency...even DC is suitable.
I would simply wire the required appliances across the two phases to obtain the 240V.

W
With regard to kitchen equipment I have read more than one thread in this German forum: http://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/phpBB/index.php

of people moving to the US or Canada. It does not concern condensator motors, nor brush motors. But the water pumps f.e. of washing machines seem to fail often or oven fans.

P
I have yet to see any examples of that; the motor will merely run slightly faster which is not signifigant except for mechanical clocks, timeswitches and some turntables & tape decks.

The shaded-pole motors fitted to older turntables were intended to be run on either 50 or 60Hz with just a change of pulley to adjust the turntable to the correct speed.

I wouldn't have thought that the very similar style shaded-pole motor used for a small fan is going to be that much different.

W
Think I found this link on ECN some months ago:
http://www.henkpasman.com/id1.html

Living in the Carribean he's sort of a specialized in 50/60Hz questions.

He says (in Dutch):
Airco, Koelkast en Wasmachine altijd kopen in
230 Volt 50 Hertz uitvoering.

Which means in his context: always keep to the correct frequency and voltage when buying AC, fridge or washing machine.

D
djk Offline
I would suggest unless it is an extremely unusual peice of equipment or has sentimental value you should simply leave it in Australia and buy an equivilant in the USA.

It's a good opportunity to update your kitchen appliances anyway and if you're selling a home in Oz you'll possibly get an extra bit for leaving all of the appliances in place.

Kitchen appliances / laundry appliances:
Forget it. Bulky, problematic and not all that expensive to replace.
TV:
Don't bother... technical differences are way too complex to overcome at a reasonable cost. PAL vs NTSC, different channel plans, different voltage/frequency etc etc
Small appliances (supplied with DC plug wallwart)
Bring with you - buy new wallwarts.
Telephones, modems, dsl modems, routers etc
Bring, they'll usually work ok.
Computer equipment:
Works anywhere.

Other small appliances:
Hairdryers, etc etc
replace them with local equivilants. Easier and safer option.

I would recomend the same for anyone moving from US/Can to EU/Aus too.

For anyone considering moving within the EU or Aus/NZ and much of the rest of the world which uses 220-230V 50Hz.
Bring everything it'll more than likely work fine with a simple change of plug.

TVs : in general not a problem as most people watch via a set top box anyway. It's increasingly rare to watch direct off air. Set to RGB, plug in a scart cable.. and off ya go! Worst case scenario, buy a local VCR and it'll tune the channels for you and feed them in over scart or other RGB cables.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 02-19-2006).]

A
It's increasingly rare to watch direct off air
Not so here...most homes have an outdoor aerial and use it. Because of the way the population density is in Australia, cable television exists only in parts of the capital cities and a couple of large country towns. Satellite pay television also exists but does not carry the free to air channels. Unless you are in a cabled area and are paying a minimum of about $40 a month, your free to air channels come from a VHF and/or UHF aerial. I believe it's similar in NZ.
As a piece of triviality, I have modified US television sets to work here; monochrome sets are not too difficult, but if you want an NTSC set to display colour it's more involved. I did do it once...didn't bother with the delay line so it effectiveley became PAL-S.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard