You mean the insurance company would refuse a bid if it was lower? Hmmmm........

For what it's worth, I understand that as far as the ceiling repairs are concerned the insurance assessor has said that if they can get a quote for under 500 GBP they'll accept it without question; if it comes to over 500, they'll want three separate quotes.

The electrical is a little different, of course, since the work has already been done, but it's not going to be anywhere near that sort of figure.

The 3-hour min. for emergency work wouldn't be far off anyway. I was there for over 2 hours on the evening, checking what had been affected, isolating the affected branch circuit, meggering the remaining circuits and restoring power to the rest of the house. I spent about another 2 hours at more civilized hours the next day pulling in one new cable drop and replacing a fitting which had been right in the path of the flood.

Off-on-a-tangent anecdote: I thought everything was unplugged and disconnected from the affected circuit, but when I came to megger it out again there was a stubborn low-resistance phase-to-neutral, about 150 ohms which just had to be some sort of appliance still on the circuit. I spent about a half hour scratching my head and thinking that there was nothing else left to unplug!

Then I found it: A central heating pump on a fused spur which was still on. You know what's embarrassing about that though? Yep, I'm the one who wired that pump onto the circuit a year or so ago! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-12-2006).]