ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#144759 01/12/06 07:58 AM
W
Screwing an Aussie bulb into the US socket leaves more of the thread exposed which could be a shock hazard.

This is particularly important for grids with two live/hot wires (without neutral). There might be a live thread even when the lamp is switched off.

Wolfgang

#144760 01/12/06 08:15 AM
P
I didn't know there were E27 bulbs in the UK.

They've been around a long time for "special" fittings, although BC was always the norm in regular domestic applications.

Edison bases seem to have become more common in recent years as we've been importing more European light fixtures.

#144761 01/12/06 08:07 PM
Y
Folks,
There are a lot of different types of lampholders.
Not only your Incandescents, but you have Halogen Linear, Halogen Single Ended and your smaller Halogen Burners.
Not forgetting Fluorescent, Tombstone and all the variations of that theme.
It's a mine-field.

That's quite true, there are probably at least a hundred different bases when you add all the different 2-and 4-pin compact fluorescents. What I was referring to is that here in the US, most table lamps and residential fixtures use an E26 base, and you will always be able to find bulbs to fit that in any supermarket. If you decide you want MR16s instead, that's your call, but the default--the least expensive and overwhelmingly most common option--is the same all over the country. I knew DC bases were common in the UK, Australia, and India, and I knew there was some difference between E26 and E27. What I didn't realize is the number of countries that use both E27 and DC.

In the US, there are something like 160 different receptacle configurations recognized by NEMA, and at least dozens of others can be found, but there is no reason the average traveller needs to carry adapters for any but NEMA 5-15 and 1-15. It's sort of the same thing with light sockets.

[This message has been edited by yaktx (edited 01-12-2006).]

#144762 01/13/06 05:58 PM
T
I have fitted E27 bulbs to US sockets several times without much trouble. They do leave a lot of thread exposed, but not more than some old Austrian sockets.

I have seen some reference to B22 being used in Europe. If so where?
Greece and Spain seem to use B22. In case of Greece that's even weirder since _all_ of the Gear I've seen used seems to have been German, mostly Siemens. The panels were a mix of Diazed and DIN rail gear, almost exclusively Siemens Germany. Sockets were typical German/Austrian/... Schuko, including the mounting with claws (one at my hotel room pulled out of the wall, that's why I know), wiring is done with either flex conduit (PVC) or German/Austrian only flat NYIF style cable. The old switches look somewhat British, the new ones definitely Continental.

#144763 02/22/06 02:30 PM
T
Another thing about Greece... usually wiring has some local specialties, like the color of conduit, shape of boxes,...
The recent Greek wiring I saw in a half-finished building could have been in Austria. Perfect match.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard